DOT 3AL aluminum tanks made from 6351-T6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donclaypool

Contributor
Reaction score
Paranoia suppression-

My tanks are labelled CTC DOT-3AL3300 S90 M4002

Are all DOT-3 AL tanks 6351-T6 alloy? Are mine? Their earliest stamp is from '88. Are these Catalina's? Do I need to remind the tech at the next vis that these tanks may be of questionable alloy and to really scrutinize the neck area?

I'd love to run out an get some lp 95-120's. Is this my excuse, that eventually I'll kill a fill tech if I don't?

Thanks,
Don

I did a search on "6351-T6" and got two pages of hits. You might want to read those over as I'm sure they'll answer your questions.

MD

Don,

What you have there is a Catalina 90 CuFt. 3300 psi cylinder made of 6061 alloy.

You can tell it is a Catalina by the M4002. It is the Manufacturer's number assigned by the US DOT.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

Thanks Guys,

I did the search and found among other information a thread from a month ago with the same concern. The Catalina's are 6061! I'm o.k. Other than the M4002, does CTC also indicate a Catalina tank?

DC

COVCI:
Don,

What you have there is a Catalina 90 CuFt. 3300 psi cylinder made of 6061 alloy.

You can tell it is a Catalina by the M4002. It is the Manufacturer's number assigned by the US DOT.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

donclaypool:
Thanks Guys,

Catalina's are 6061! I'm o.k.
DC

Of course, if you still, ahem, need the steel 95s, we could probably come up with something else wrong with those 90s :xmas_2:

MD

CTC is the designation for Canadian Transportation Commission, now known as simply TC--Transport Canada.

Chris
COVCI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom