Talk to me about PST HP120s and Hydro - First hand accounts only please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of getting some 120s for sidemount. I found some PST HP120s. I have read they are good for sidemount but I have also read some posts about them needed special procedures for HYdro and that if they are not followed they will fail. I have seen the posts online of a couple horror stories where the tanks failed and were destroyed for service.

I found some tanks online but they will need hydro in a year.

What's the deal with this special procedure? Is it really a big deal? Please only post first hand accounts.

Not a big deal. There is a special procedure regarding the REE, I tape the procedure to the outside of every PST I own and send them for hydro. Never had one fail yet.

The hydro facility is supposed to know this, BTW, but it doesn't always work out the way you'd like.

Can't say the procedure was special in my case, took my PST HP 120's to the shop and picked them up later. They are 10 yrs old. This is Canada so the US might be different. I have to say though that I don't think they make good overall SM tanks. Way too much gas for the average rec profile and many tec profiles. They are just very challenging to handle underwater. I dive them in cold water, with dry gloves. The HP 100's are much easier and still have a very good capacity. My 2 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look on the crown of the tank. The markings for special procedure tanks will have an E number (Exemption). The PST tanks you are looking at probably are marked E9791. If they're the old spun Genesis tanks, it is probably E12079. These permits need to be renewed by the manufacturer periodically, but can also be requested by anyone in case the manufacturer doesn't renew. AFAIK, the E9791 permit was renewed through January 2015 and the E12079 through December 2017.
PHMSA - Special Permits List

Test pressure for "normal" tanks is 5/3 times working pressure. Test pressure for these special tanks is different and might also be stamped on the crown, such as TP5250.

Can't say the procedure was special in my case, took my PST HP 120's to the shop and picked them up later. They are 10 yrs old. This is Canada so the US might be different. I have to say though that I don't think they make good overall SM tanks. Way too much gas for the average rec profile and many tec profiles. They are just very challenging to handle underwater. I dive them in cold water, with dry gloves. The HP 100's are much easier and still have a very good capacity. My 2 psi.

I'm renting some 120s for a dive tomorrow to see how I like them. If I find they are overkill I may look back at the hp100s. I have lp85s now which are nice when I can get them filled to 3200 or so, but when I can't I just find that they aren't quite enough air for me.

I get get as much bottom time side mounting HP100s as I do back mounting LP108s with a cave fill. LP108s at 3600psi have almost 150cuft of gas.

Seems like LP85s or HP100s are the dominant SM tank.

I'll buy your LP85s.

I might sell you my 85s. I'll be driving through Va next month.
I'm only in VA part of the month. GA/FL as often as home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We'll. I went to the shop today to rent the hp120s they said they had, but they were the older 8"diameter fabers (3120psi I think) and they had big h valves on them so I didn't want to mess with them for sidemount. I rented some small hp100s that are similar in size to my lp85s. By my calculation I should be able to remove 4lbs going from worthington lp85s to hp100s.

Ill see see how they go tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom