One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I found two abandoned scuba tanks today. They are both AL80s, both have 10 years since last hydro, and both had their valves OPEN when I found them. Externally they seem to be in okay shape.

I figured I could get them hydroed and VIP'd and have myself some cheap tanks, but finding them with the valves open has me a bit worried.

Does this make it likely they are rusted inside? If so, would a tumbling put it right? And what will all this cost me?

Kewl.... wind chimes!

Aluminum 80s don't rust inside but if they are 10 years since their last hydro they are probably the *bad* alloy.

Still they might be worth a tumble.

So what is the best course of action? Drop em off at the LDS and say have at it?

Well... first ascertain the manufacturer and date. Then call around to the various dive shops and ask them if they will fill the tanks if they pass hydro, vis and eddy current test. The shop that says yes is the one to take them to.

Why wouldn't they fill them if the passed all 3 tests?

Some shops in FL, and other states refuse to fill any tank made with the 6351 alloy (susceptible to Sustained Load Cracking of the neck threads).

What's the original hydro and manufacturer of these cylinders? If you let us know, we can tell you if they are good or not...

/me leaves to walk dog and check the tanks that are in the trunk of my car a black away...

Jeez... I didnt mean to send you out in the middle of the night... I hope you have your mace with you too for the walk!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom