DOT exemption for PST E7 Tanks? Expires Soon? Renewed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmud

Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives.
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I own 5 PST E7 HP tanks. They are all in current hydro. I understand the DOT exemption is expiring the end of January 2015.

Has this exemption been renewed?

If not, how does this exemption get renewed?

Thanks,

MarkM

PS: I received an email from a dive shop stating that I had to get my E7 tanks renewed now as this would be the last opportunity for these tanks to be hydro tested. I thought the DOT exemption could be renewed by an entity other than PST (now defunct).

PST renewed the permit in Canada which expired last June. It was renewed October 17th. There is another thread on this board where it states that the USA renewal is in the works.

PST renewed the permit in Canada which expired last June. It was renewed October 17th. There is another thread on this board where it states that the USA renewal is in the works.

Thanks grf8 for your quick response,

Do you know what forum that thread is posted?

markm

I received a email from Ocean Enterprises in San Diego that Pressed Steel (PST) is now out of business and will not be renewing their permits as such.
Starting January 27th, the special permits will expire

Toknow if you have a PST steel tank, please look for the following informationthat will be stamped on the neck of the tank...
1.It will be marked with E9791 or SP9791
2.It will say PST
3.The working pressure will be either 3442 or 3500
4.The tank will be gray, black, blue, or yellow

Can't verify other than this source

no offense to OE, but they are very wrong as are any other person that said the exemptions can't and won't be renewed, that being said if you want to scrap your PST tanks, I'll take all of them. PST is still around though the scuba division is no longer. The exemption has been submitted for renewal and is due for approval shortly. They have submitted both snail and email to cover bases. This is similar to Worthington who is also no longer making scuba cylinders and they are submitting the renewal for their bottles as well. Every few years people get antsy about the renewal and every few years it still gets renewed and will continue for quite a long time. It's an irritating PitA, but if you want to avoid it, just sell them to me and go get some Fabers or PST low pressures

Thanks Tbone1004!

I will definitely keep my three 100 cf and two 80 cf E7 tanks.

markm

I brought my two PST's in for Hydros last week. They're do for hydro's in June & August, so I figured I'd get it done before the season and also get the benefit of the existing exemption, just in case. It ticked me off, dumping all the nitrox out of the two tanks, but two tanks of Nitrox is a lot cheaper than two new 120's.

I've read that it's "in the works," but I'm not going to chance it.

I brought my two PST's in for Hydros last week. They're do for hydro's in June & August, so I figured I'd get it done before the season and also get the benefit of the existing exemption, just in case. It ticked me off, dumping all the nitrox out of the two tanks, but two tanks of Nitrox is a lot cheaper than two new 120's.

I've read that it's "in the works," but I'm not going to chance it.

I'm fairly sure that when the SP expires, the tank can not continue to be used. Then it becomes a question of whether the valid hydro date will be enough to fool the fill op.

no offense to OE, but they are very wrong as are any other person that said the exemptions can't and won't be renewed, that being said if you want to scrap your PST tanks, I'll take all of them. PST is still around though the scuba division is no longer. The exemption has been submitted for renewal and is due for approval shortly. They have submitted both snail and email to cover bases. This is similar to Worthington who is also no longer making scuba cylinders and they are submitting the renewal for their bottles as well. Every few years people get antsy about the renewal and every few years it still gets renewed and will continue for quite a long time. It's an irritating PitA, but if you want to avoid it, just sell them to me and go get some Fabers or PST low pressures

Holy cow, this guy knows everything!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom