SPECIAL PERMIT FOR e7 TANKS TO BE RENEWED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I just now (Tues, 1/27 @ 9:30AM PST) got off the phone with Bob Darling of PST Cylinders, LLC (which is what Pressed Steel morphed into) and he assured me that he has filed the renewal paperwork as of yesterday. He said he was having some computer issues but they have been solved and this should go through. The renewal may not get approved prior to January 31 which is when the current one seems to expire (despite the fact that website says 2/28/2015) but the gap will likely be short because, as he told me, the sooner the renewal gets processed the sooner both he and the DOT will stop getting calls about it.

This link should allow you to track the progress of the renewal. Just type in "SP9791". Bob says he doesn't think anything will show up on the website until tokmorrow: PHMSA - Home

The other good news is that there's no fee on Bob's end to do this so he says he intends to continue to renew the SP down the road.

- Ken

Thank you, Ken. So I gather the reports that PST transferred or sold the exemption rights to PSI/PCI are incorrect? Because someone from PSI said they had submitted the renewal request a short while ago.

In any case, it is good news.

I spoke with Diane Lavelle at the DOT and she said that if they get the paperwork by tomorrow from Robert that they would push it through rush in order to get it processed by Friday so there is no lapse. Hopefully everything works out.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 02:21 PM ----------

just saw a posting at PSI PCI about SP9791

PSI-PCI - PSI-PCI

anyone know more about the "grandfather" provision? eg can we expect our local LDS to fill a SP9791 tank if there is a gap due to a pending renewal?

I spoke with Diane Lavelle at the DOT and she said that if they get the paperwork by tomorrow from Robert that they would push it through rush in order to get it processed by Friday so there is no lapse. Hopefully everything works out.

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 02:21 PM ----------

just saw a posting at PSI PCI about SP9791

PSI-PCI - PSI-PCI

anyone know more about the "grandfather" provision? eg can we expect our local LDS to fill a SP9791 tank if there is a gap due to a pending renewal?

Hello RunsOnGas,

I read the posting at PSI-PCI and I interpret the statement to mean that the old permit will be grandfathered until a determination is made by DOT to issue a new permit or to deny the renewal.

I have been wrong before!

Thanks to all who bird-dogged this issue and created a sheet-storm with the entities involved.

markm

. . . I interpret the statement to mean that the old permit will be grandfathered until a determination is made by DOT to issue a new permit or to deny the renewal.

Yes & no. I had a conversation this morning with Mark Gibello of XS Scuba about this very topic.

In the CFRs (CFR-49 I think), there is a provision that is an SP renewal is submitted 60 days or more prior to expiration, the current SP gets extended beyond it's expiration date until a determination (yea or nay) is made on the renewal. That's not the case here. So technically, once the permit expires - and the website shows the expiration as 2/28/2015 but the document shows 1/31/2015 - the tanks can't be hydroed or filled (or transported) until the renewal kicks in.

The practical effect of this on tanks with a current hydro will be nil. I would think the individual shops will not be up on the finer details of this (nor will the DOT Police be out looking for violators) which means that if your PST SP9791 or E9791 tank is in current hydro and VIP, a shop will fill it. However, if you need to have it hydroed during the gap period, I would think you won't be able to do that because the hydro facilities WILL be up-to-date on this and will have to wait until the renewal kicks in to start hydroing PST tanks again.

Bottom line: All should (eventually) be well in the world regarding these tanks.

PSI PCI reporting this morning that sp9791 has been renewed.

PSI-PCI - PSI-PCI

I confirmed with the special permit office that the dot website should have the renewal updated by tomorrow.

afaik yes. e9791 was an exemption under the old dot system. however, the dot changed all exemptions to special permits a few years ago and i believe that e9791 was reissued as sp9791.

The New document has been signed, new renewal date is 31 December, 2018. DOT just emailed a copy to us. (DOT RIN)
I just now (Tues, 1/27 @ 9:30AM PST) got off the phone with Bob Darling of PST Cylinders, LLC (which is what Pressed Steel morphed into) and he assured me that he has filed the renewal paperwork as of yesterday. He said he was having some computer issues but they have been solved and this should go through. The renewal may not get approved prior to January 31 which is when the current one seems to expire (despite the fact that website says 2/28/2015) but the gap will likely be short because, as he told me, the sooner the renewal gets processed the sooner both he and the DOT will stop getting calls about it.

This link should allow you to track the progress of the renewal. Just type in "SP9791". Bob says he doesn't think anything will show up on the website until tokmorrow: PHMSA - Home

The other good news is that there's no fee on Bob's end to do this so he says he intends to continue to renew the SP down the road.

- Ken

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

[see you all in 1,425 days (1,433 days to expiration)]

Back
Top Bottom