REE stamp on HP tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently acquired a pair of Noris HP120 tanks (3500 PSI), and both tanks have an REE value stamped into them.

I understand (or believe I do) what the REE value is used for with LP tanks, but what purpose does it have on 3500 PSI tanks?

XS Scuba - Cylinder Info

See if that link helps - Google...

[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Department of Transportation changed Special Permit 14157 in July[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]2011.

SP14157 covers all Worthington X-Series, 3442 PSI steel scuba cylinders. Changes to SP14157 include how the cylinder is evaluated for pass/fail at the time of requalification hydro test. These cylinders are no longer evaluated by the percentage of Permanent Expansion. These cylinders are now evaluated for pass/fail by the REE (Rejection Elastic Expansion). [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]T[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]he Elastic Expansion can not exceed the Rejection Elastic Expansion. The REE info is stamped into the shoulder of every
X-Series Worthington cylinder and it is located on our website.

A similar change [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]was also[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]made[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] to Transport Canada's TC-SU 4957 Equivalency Certificate.

Please note that these changes do not have any effect on Worthington LP-Series DOT 3AA steel cylinders or Worthington aluminum 3AL aluminum cylinders.

Worthington Cylinders continues to recommend that the Hydrostatic Requalification Procedures released[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif] i[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]n June 2010 are followed.[/FONT]

XS Scuba - Cylinder Info

See if that link helps - Google...

The Department of Transportation changed Special Permit 14157 in July 2011.

SP14157 covers all Worthington X-Series, 3442 PSI steel scuba cylinders. Changes to SP14157 include how the cylinder is evaluated for pass/fail at the time of requalification hydro test. These cylinders are no longer evaluated by the percentage of Permanent Expansion. These cylinders are now evaluated for pass/fail by the REE (Rejection Elastic Expansion).
The Elastic Expansion can not exceed the Rejection Elastic Expansion. The REE info is stamped into the shoulder of every
X-Series Worthington cylinder and it is located on our website.

A similar change
was also made to Transport Canada's TC-SU 4957 Equivalency Certificate.

Please note that these changes do not have any effect on Worthington LP-Series DOT 3AA steel cylinders or Worthington aluminum 3AL aluminum cylinders.

Worthington Cylinders continues to recommend that the Hydrostatic Requalification Procedures released
in June 2010 are followed.

Thanks. I neglected to mention that these are old(er) tanks. IIRC their first (and only before I purchased them) hydro was '04.

I recently acquired a pair of Noris HP120 tanks (3500 PSI), and both tanks have an REE value stamped into them.

I understand (or believe I do) what the REE value is used for with LP tanks, but what purpose does it have on 3500 PSI tanks?

The REE number serves the same purpose, as these are 3AA tanks just like the LP steels. Your working pressure is probably 3150 + 10% with the plus rating. Since the REE number is stamped on the tank, any hydro facility should have no problem giving you the plus rating, although the unfortunate reality is that most of the shops I've had experience with are woefully ignorant of the plus rating and scuba cylinders in general. Make sure you ask about it with the actual hydrotester before you bring the tanks in.

After that, you'll have the joyful experience of finding a dive shop that understands the plus rating and will actually give you a 3500 PSI fill. Hopefully your experience in this will be better than mine.

Back
Top Bottom