What to do with AL80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_drum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took one of my old tanks in for VIP/Hydro... the shop said it was not usuable anymore, something about the mixture or AL or something. Anyway, what do you do with an old tank? If I cannot refill it I do not want it taking up space in my garage, what useful thing can I do? I thought about calling a recycling place or something, but thought maybe there was a better "more scuba" use.

You should get about $15.00 (depending upon the local price of scrap Al) at a recycling yard. You'll need to depressurize it and remove the valve.

Many scrap yards require you to cut the cylinder in half - to demonstrate that there are no hazardous chemicals inside and it is depressurized. Mine is satisfied with the valve off.

Some shops have the policy of refusing to fill scuba cylinders that were made before the 90s. They allege that they are made of a "bad" alloy. The truth is not as simple as that. Aluminum alloy 6351 occasionally develops sustained load cracking in scuba tanks. There are well documented procedures to test these particular tanks and catch any developing failure before it becomes an issue.

Luxfer discontinued the use of 6351 alloy in June 1988. If your tank in question was made by luxfer after June 1988 (see original tank stampings), then it is not made with the "bad" alloy. If your tank was made before, you can call luxfer, read them the serial number stamped on the tank and then they can confirm if it is made with 6351 alloy or not. If you do indeed have a 6351 alloy tank, have it annually eddy current tested in accordance to luxfer recommendations. You can safely keep on using your tank until it fails to pass an annual test. Click here for more info: Sustained-load cracking (SLC) in ruptured scuba cylinder made from 6351 aluminum alloy - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide

Are you sure that the shop that told you about the "bad alloy" did proper testing before condemning it? It's sort of convenient for them to say that you have junk and should buy a new tank from them...

I have a old AL80 fail VIP due to neck thread damage from salt water intrusion. I cut the tank at the band of the neck, smoothed the edge, painted it. It is not my umbrella holder. I was surprised to see how thick is the AL80 tank wall.

We have a guy that cuts them down, turns the edges on a lathe, and makes some dandy cookie jars out of them. You can cut it length wise and make a neat hibachi, cut the bottom off and make wind chimes, or weld handles on for a breaching tool.

In regard to Slamfire's comments, while quite valid, keep in mind the shop that owns the compressor can make any rule they wish. Sure, there are testing protocols, but is it worth the added cost, and will they still fill it? Is sucks to write them off (I have two), but it is what it is......

btw - seen steel made into a grill, but aluminum has me thinking.... wind chimes are always interesting...

You could also turn the tank into a lamp, or cut off the top to use as a desk lamp base then the bottom as an umbrella holder.

In regard to Slamfire's comments, while quite valid, keep in mind the shop that owns the compressor can make any rule they wish. Sure, there are testing protocols, but is it worth the added cost, and will they still fill it? Is sucks to write them off (I have two), but it is what it is......

If there is more than one shop in the area then why not call around and ask? When I first moved to Miami in 2007, dive shops were refusing to fill AL tanks over 15 years old. Mine was a 1991 and not made with the 6351 alloy. The third shop I called was more than happy to VIP it and fill it. Granted it is their compressor and they can do what they want but a consumer does have the option of taking his business elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom