• AL63 Doubles

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Al80 Doubles

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Not worth it, period.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just picked up a matching pair of AL63s at a yard sale and I'm tossing around the idea of configuring them into doubles. I'm a recreational diver, for now, and I dive a FFM, a BP/W, and I usually dive with an AL80. I don't "need" more gas but we all "want" more gas and since I had these I was wonder if it was worth it and what some of the drawbacks to it would be. Also I have a 28lb wing, would this be enough lift for AL63 doubles? Thanks for the advice ahead of time.

If you think you want to progress into doubles 63s wouldnt be bad I have heard that they are nice and compact for shore diving and they dont get as floaty as 80s but you would probally be better off with a doubles wing 40-50lbs lift rather than your 28lbs wing which I assume is a singles wing you need a wing with enough space to fit around a set of doubles.

I dive AL63 doubles, but with a double hose regulator, The short length of them is ideal for me as you wear them low for regulator performance. IIRC, i have a 40# wing on them, and it is more than enough, even with a V-weight attached. keep in mind, it is highly probable your singles wing is not going to work with doubles....

GOPR1063.jpg

you'll need a doubles wing due to the design of the wing. Your 28lb wing can't handle doubles because it is far too narrow. Look on any of the wing manufacturers websites and you'll see a radical design difference.

The 63's aren't bad, but the cost of bands and a manifold setup will likely be prohibitive. If you are short then the 63's work, but they are very short and anyone over 5'6" will have issues with them on anything but shore diving. It's cheaper to find a set of doubles for $400-$500 and have it all in one go and then you get the benefit of cheap steel tanks out of it. You're looking at bare minimum of $300 to find a set of bands and a manifold new, you almost never see them used, bands yes, crossbar yes, but rarely a full set. Add that to whatever you paid for the tanks themselves, and the $400-$450 range for a set of steel doubles is a bargain.

adding to the issue, if you are using a modern isolation manifold, you will be investing in an additional first stage as you have two posts in this configuration.

I just got an HP120 so banding up the AL63s seems kind of pointless now. Thanks for the advice though guys.

far from pointless, you have added redundancy and stability in doubles that you don't get in singles or single with an H-valve. Many of us prefer smaller doubles over larger singles. I love my LP72's and will take them over a HP130 any day. Personal preference

New manifold and bands runs 200 brand new shipped to your door. Try it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom