US divers cylinder info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mhattenhauer

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anything anyone can tell me about these cylinders?
46737d4f6d0e882ce5940ed48037c14e.jpg

I'm guessing they are AL80 and an AL40. I'm new to diving so really don't know much else. The last visual and hydro were in 2011. These were given to me over the weekend.

I don't think they made 40's then.. it is a 50... The shops where I live will refuse to fill tanks that old. The vlaves have reserves, which you don't want unless you are one of those "weird Vintage divers"...:eyebrow:

Doesn't look like a 40. Probably an al 50. One shop I used to work with used these for pool tanks. What alloy are they?
I believe the alloy is E6498? That is what is stamped after the DOT

Well its good that they were given to me. Lol thanks for the info y'all. I'm glad to know this and glad I didn't pay for them.

The boots are good and the old handles on those valves are nice and the aluminum does have some decent scrap value.

Black tank- 80 CF tank made by Luxfer cylinders and marketed by USD. It was manufactured under the 6498 exemption which was later changed to a 3AL specification in 49 CFR. The alloy this tank is made of is 6351-T6 alloy. It is still legal for use as long as it passes its 5 year hydro, eddy current at time of hydro, and visual inspection.

Yellow Tank - 60 CF tank. The rest is the same as the black tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom