• I only use a mesh protector to transport my tanks

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • I keep the mesh protector on at all times - even while I dive

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I use something else to protect my tanks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolflegresley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do you use Mesh Protectors? why or why not? (I'm buying some HP133s and cant make up my mind).

I don't use any tank protectors on my tanks. For my, they don't offer much protection and I see them as just another unnecessary accessory. Do my tanks have some scuffs and marks on them? Yes, but nothing more than what you would expect from tanks that are used frequently.

Unless you treat them real bad, it takes years before they might need a touch up. In addition, anything that could ding the tank only needs to hit inside the mesh. Now if you only have one camband, a small strip of this material under the band may help the grip if you don't use duct tape already.

Bob

I go au naturel:D

I don't see any significant benefit,but I do think they would be annoying: snagging on things for example. If my tanks get scuffed up, who cares? I don't. I want to simplify my diving as much as possible.

I don't think they offer much protection, to something that doesn't really need protecting anyway. Just another of the many little scuba accessories places are happy to sell you that you don't really need. I had some when I first started diving and found they were a nuisance, made it harder to get the BC on the tank, although they can be helpful in preventing tank slippage. Just a band of it where you want a single tank strap to go is an interesting idea.

I have and use them always. Do they offer much protection ? Probably not do they help my tank not slip from my bc. ? Maybe? Maybe not. Did I pay for them NO. Would I buy them absolutely not but I have them and use them because they were free. I see no benefit to not using them and I honestly don't see much benefit to using them either.. but my shiny red tanks look mighty sexy waring black lace ;-)

Sent from my galaxy S5 Active.

I only put them on my tanks when I'm doing moorings/chains work, which can be pretty tough on the gear.

Do you use Mesh Protectors? why or why not? (I'm buying some HP133s and cant make up my mind).
A lot of my diving is in low vis environments and my tanks are a dull steel gray so I bought neon yellow protectors to help my dive buddy pick me out if we get even a little separated.

Back
Top Bottom