Sherwood Genesis tank oddities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help me out here,

Found some sherwood tanks for sale at a good price. I thought I had heard there was something peculiar about sherwood genesis tanks? Unfortunately, I can't remember the details.

If it matters, steel HP80 circa 1993.

If they are made by Asahi they can be very negative. The interior at the bottom can be rough from the rolling process and more difficult to prevent from rusting. The valve threads may be the taper style. They are likely dry galvanized instead of dipped. If you carry weight they can help eliminate the lead.

1993 vintage is more likely to be PST, 7/8, 3500 psi. easy way to tell is by the exemption / special permit stamped on the tank. 12079 is asahi and 9791 is PST

Probably made by PST with the mentioned 7/8 fine thread neck (and valve) DIN only. Perfectly nice cylinders if you're a DIN user.

Pete

if you are short, and need a lot of weight, they're nice. The HP80's are VERY short tanks, and they are quite negative around 3.5lbs, but very nice to have for the lady divers in your life.

Back
Top Bottom