Steel Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigfins24

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me two ScubaPro Steel Slim tanks. They passed hydo and all, but he doesn't remember how many cubic feet they are. Here are some of the numbers on the tank: M8303 Made in Italy 86+ and their 3000 psi. I don't have the DOT numbers, but if that will help I can post them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Your tank is made by Faber (the DOT code for Faber is M8393). Faber makes five steel tanks rated to 3000 psi: 60, 72, 80, 100, & 120 cu-feet. Below are the dimensions for each tank:

diameter length weight empty
inches inches pounds
60 6.00 22.0 22.9
72 6.75 20.5 28.7
80 7.25 20.1 32.4
100 7.25 24.2 38.8
120 7.25 28.6 45.4

Scubapro marketed a 6.25" diameter 75.8 cu ft tank (with the 10% overfill) in the mid-eighties along with a shorter 6.25" daimeter 71.2 cu ft tank and a taller and larger diameter 95 cu ft tank. All were made by Faber. My guess is you have the 75.8 (a very nice tank - I wish I had a dozen or so) but its hard to say without the dimensions.

I think the tank you have is the "Slim Tank". It holds 71.2 cu ft @ 3300 (3000 with the "+" if current) Diameter is 6 inches, height is 25.39". It's a nice tank, especially if you keep the overfill current. Full, it's -9.5 lbs., empty -4 lbs.
At 3000 psi it'll have 64.7 cu. ft.
Neil

Thanks for all the help. I checked the diameter and they are 6". As for the length, do I measure from the top of the cylinder (where the valve screws in) to the bottom. Or someplace else. Thanks for all the help.

bigfins24:
Thanks for all the help. I checked the diameter and they are 6". As for the length, do I measure from the top of the cylinder (where the valve screws in) to the bottom. Or someplace else. Thanks for all the help.

Measure the length of the tank from the bottom to the top; do not include any part of the valve.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me solve the mystery of how many cubic feet my tanks are. The tanks are ScubaPro Slim Line 72 made by Faber. Neil - you hit it dead-nuts. They are 6" diameters, 25" length and 3000 psi. Just one more question for Neil - You stated in your post that it holds 71.2 cu ft @ 3300 (3000 with the "+" current). What did you mean when you said "+" current and keep the overfill current? Thanks again everyone.

bigfins24:
I'd like to thank everyone for helping me solve the mystery of how many cubic feet my tanks are. The tanks are ScubaPro Slim Line 72 made by Faber. Neil - you hit it dead-nuts. They are 6" diameters, 25" length and 3000 psi. Just one more question for Neil - You stated in your post that it holds 71.2 cu ft @ 3300 (3000 with the "+" current). What did you mean when you said "+" current and keep the overfill current? Thanks again everyone.

You should read through the thread Roakey suggests, but here are the salient points:

-The "+" allows 10% overfill from stamped pressure if it is with a current hydro stamp.
-Your tank is only rated for 3000 psi without the "+".
-The "+" test requires the hydro dude or dudette to do an extra step ($).
-You can omit the "+" test in one hydro and do it in a subsequent one.
-You have to ASK for the "+" test, most hydro places don't assume you want it done.

Neil

Back
Top Bottom