Can you say Hernia!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario S Caner

Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just wanted to take a minute to talk about and share with those whom don't know... my views on the big daddy of all scuba cylinders. The goliath of em all, the one that only Arnold himself could double up is the 190cuft Steel beast made by Heiser/Beauchat.

The crazy cylinder has a working pressure of 4400psi, has an 8 inch outside diameter and a height of 31.3 inches. The 87lb cylinder has a negative buoyancy of 62.3 lbs when full and a negative buoyancy of 46.86 lbs when empty! Does anyone on the boards know of anyone that can dive with this refridgerator strapped to their backs? Holy Cow! My motto has always been to "Go big or go home!" but this is going too far!

190cuft!!!

We have some in the area that have twinned up LP 131's and they are huge, makes me cringe just seeing them arrive at the dock for loading on the boat. We have even come up with a block and tackle sys!!! But strapping a 190 on your back would be like strapping on a submarine! The rule of thumb around here is if you get em in the water you get em outta the water, as a result most have gone to 95's or 112's,and the occasion set of 125's for longer deeper stuff.

Heh BIG. I dont know about those cylinders mario but my diving instructor who i still dive with on occasion sometimes carries four cylinders on his back. He carries 2 smaller "flanker" cylinders around the rib cage/thigh area, hard to describe really. And before you ask, yes he did look like something off a sci-fi flik with all those hoses.

mario...

Its the bouyancy characteristics that I find disturbing about this tank....would you really want between 62 and 47 lbs of negative bouyancy strapped to your back. I know I wouldn't. Took a look at OMS's site just to get my numbers straight...twin 85's come in around 14 lbs negative when full (plus manifold and bands etc). That is a long way from 62.3 lbs. Warhammer is dead on. Sounds dangerous.

Bio guy

Could be used as a DPV, turn it upside down, crack the valve open and you could go forever with that much air.

Just a thought.

Sure wouldn't want to strap it on my back, you would have to have a hot air balloon just to stay neutral.

Mario, where did you come up with that, "Ripley's Believe It or Not"?

It's not fiction, I'm talking for real here. I'm not saying that I would ever use a beastly cylinder like that, I can't even see the application where you would want so much negative buoyancy. Diving with multiple cylinders is common, in fact I could go to my garage and assemble a double, manifold them up and then strap two additional clinders off of the existing cylinders and my B.C. ala standard Tech diving configuration, and still not have even close to that amount of negative buoyancy.

"Of the 8 or more present or past U.S. cylinder manufacturers, divers have most often purchased cylinders made by PST, Norris, Walter Kidde Co., Luxfer Gas Cylinders, Coyne and Catalina Cylinders. Two international companies, Faber of Italy (Scuba Pro and OMS brands) and Heiser of Austria (Beauchat brand) make steel cylinders for sale in the U.S. Occasionally, cylinder distributors apply their own brand name to a manufacturer's cylinder. The Luxfer 3AL appeared as U.S. Divers, Dacor, Sherwood, and Dolphin."

So to the best of my knowledge the Beast is authorised for use here in the U.S., Europe and Canada, so I was just wondering what anyone would use this thing for!?!

I dont suppose you have a website with pictures of the 190 cuft cylinders do you Mario? I have to see them for myself, sounds a bit mad.

_________
A ship is always referred to as "she" because it costs so much to keep one in paint and powder.
Chester Nimitz

Aegir,
I don't have a picture of the cylinder in question but here is the URL to the Beauchat website. I'm a little detached from Beauchat gear, they don't have very good representation around here... Perhaps someone else will know a whole lot more about whom can enlighten us?

http://beuchatdiving.com/frame3.htm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom