Steel tanks, Yoke valves, DIN valves and the lot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Ok I am sure this has been answered previously, and the terms I keep plugging in give me tons of gear for sale, but no answers to my questions.

Ok, after looking at tanks for quite a while and discussing SAC, and weighting questions with a bunch of people. The tank I am looking for is a HP Steel 100 or 120.

Now the issue is I am only finding these tanks with DIN valves and like many recreational divers gear, I have yolk adapter on my first stage. Sooooo.... is this a simple matter of an adapter? Do I need to re-think my entire thought process on this?

(I am not buying new regs)

Yes, you can only get HP tanks with a DIN valve, although the new PST tanks are convertible.

Regardless, I'm of the belief that DIN is a far better system. Depending on your reg, it's an easy step to convert it permanently to DIN. I know on an Apeks it takes about 30 seconds.

Boogie,
I have yoke on my regs.... I am looking for a HP100 or 120 steel with a yoke valve on it and will convert to DIN later if I change the system. Am I correct in assuming this is just a matter of chaning the valve?

CelticRavenVA:
Boogie,
I have yoke on my regs.... I am looking for a HP100 or 120 steel with a yoke valve on it and will convert to DIN later if I change the system. Am I correct in assuming this is just a matter of chaning the valve?

You won't find an HP100 or HP120 with a Yoke valve.

Even if you could, its far easier and a lot less money to simply convert your reg to a DIN reg... (than buy a DIN valve, remove the worthless Yoke nonesense, get your cylinder Viz'd, install the new rockin' DIN, etc...)

You may want to pick up a Yoke adapter when you travel and/or rent a different cylinder, so your newly converted DIN reg will fit on bogus Joke, errrr Yoke valve equipped cylinders.

K

CelticRavenVA:
Boogie,

No. You cannot put a yoke valve on a HP tank. Thats why they only come with DIN valves.

The new PST tanks are set up to do both.

There is an adapter for a Yoke reg already screwed into the DIN valve that is removable. It looks like a plug. If you switch to a DIN reg later then you just take out the "plug". It just screws in and out.

Christian

MechDiver:
No. You cannot put a yoke valve on a HP tank. Thats why they only come with DIN valves.

While there ARE DIN valves that support yoke plugs by screwing into the DIN port on the valve... these are NOT available for HP steel tanks.

The HP tanks use 300 BAR valves, LP tanks can use 200BAR/3000PSI DIN valves. The prime example are the LP PST Steel tanks.

Th reason HP steel tanks need 300 bar valves (i believe) is because the 1st stage regs need to be able to handle this high pressure and the 200 bar valves don't have enough threads to securely tighten the reg to the valve. It was found that the yoke connection made to a 300 BAR valve using an adapter had a high rate of failure.

BTW - you will see valves that say 200 or 232 par - for all purposes - these are the same. It's just easier to remember 200.

headhunter:

There is an adapter for a Yoke reg already screwed into the DIN valve that is removable. It looks like a plug. If you switch to a DIN reg later then you just take out the "plug". It just screws in and out.

Christian

This is simply a 200bar DIN valve with the insert. The 200bar version is pretty much the maximum limit for the E-series tank pressures. A 300bar has 2 more threads, and is too long for an insert. Sure, you could make an insert, but the yoke fitting would not normally be long enough to fit the valve.

Many divers will use 200bar valves with 300bar DIN reg fittings. This way the reg will fit all DIN valves regardless of their rating. I personally use 200 on my single tanks, and 300 on my doubles. If I should use a yoke only tank valve, then I simply put an adapter on my 300 DIN reg fitting. The "official" rating of 200bar pressures is 2,900psi, so the E-series is a bit of a stretch on the valve. I realized that the ECU was going to a 232bar rating when the Mares yokes started displaying that rating some years back. Low and behold, the new PST ratings are almost identical. The 300bar is for up to 4,350, which should meet the needs of those needing shall we say, "higher fill pressures".

Greg

zboss:
While there ARE DIN valves that support yoke plugs by screwing into the DIN port on the valve... these are NOT available for HP steel tanks.

The HP tanks use 300 BAR valves, LP tanks can use 200BAR/3000PSI DIN valves. The prime example are the LP PST Steel tanks.

Th reason HP steel tanks need 300 bar valves (i believe) is because the 1st stage regs need to be able to handle this high pressure and the 200 bar valves don't have enough threads to securely tighten the reg to the valve. It was found that the yoke connection made to a 300 BAR valve using an adapter had a high rate of failure.

BTW - you will see valves that say 200 or 232 par - for all purposes - these are the same. It's just easier to remember 200.

Personally, I believe that if diving cylinders were first invented in this present time, then yoke fittings would never exist. DIN is so mechanically superior that there is really no need for yoke. I've some old regs that have yokes that are so thin that I would be terrified to put them on a 232bar tank. Kinda' like playing Russian Roulette....

Greg

headhunter:

Christian

The E8 PST tanks are not HP tanks, so they can get away with using yokes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom