Pony mount system (13cf)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What's the best pony mount system out? I've got trident bag, but not real happy with it. Is there a DIY rigging? I've looked at what is sold around here and can't find what I want. Something that attaches to my main tank, is easy accesible undwater....i.e. hand-off to a buddy and such. Thanks for any input ya'll have.

Seems to me the "attaches to main tank....and easy to hand off..." is very contridictory.

If you want to be able to hand off the pony ,you are going to sling it. I am not aware of any other way for a hand off.

If you just want a pony for backup...not a dive extender....and can mount it easily whether traveling and using rental tanks or your own....take a look at the ponease. Go to www.sea-lutions.com/ponease and you can see it attaches by clamp pressure to the tank cam bands....not the tank....of the bcd. So there are no mounts to switch from tank to tank....and no problems if you use rental tanks....

but...you are not handing the pony off with this mount....or any other similar tank or cam band mount.
Good luck
rich

PS...Don ....where are you on this one??

RICHinNC:
Seems to me the "attaches to main tank....and easy to hand off..." is very contridictory.
Actually, the company you referenced makes some convoluted contraption to allow you to remove bottle while underwater. But that would seem (to me aleast) to add a failure point to something which (some might say) isn't neccessary in the first place. But I digress...

hey corn....i didnt know that. I bought my system long ago and only go to the site occasionally. I def agree it could be a failure point. I would hate to go to a head down position...have the pony come off and bang me on the head....sweet dreams.

The ponease is still pretty good ....if you dont plan to hand off.

Boat:
What's the best pony mount system out? I've got trident bag, but not real happy with it. Is there a DIY rigging? I've looked at what is sold around here and can't find what I want. Something that attaches to my main tank, is easy accesible undwater....i.e. hand-off to a buddy and such. Thanks for any input ya'll have.

A quick search will get you lot's of suggestions. I used a Highland Mills SS band to mount a 13CF to an alum 80 for shore dives.

--Matt

Thanks for the replies. It's really not necessary for me to have the hand-off capability. If it gets to that point...the dives over anyhow. I only have one for self sufficiency, not to extend the down time. I would have thought there would have been a DIY alternative that would have been fairly cheap. Most of the brackets/mounts I've looked at were high dollar, or so it seemed. Again, thanks for the responses. Boat

Oh, and that sling system...what would be the advantage of having that, other than the hand-off ability? Looks like it'd get in the way to me.

The sling is too dangly for me. Never found a way to really tighten it into the body. Ok..dont know if you are suppose to tighten it in....but I had loose danglies.

And my pony is for me...not to hand off....i have an octo if needed

(where is uncle pug....no flames???))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom