tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
does anyone recomend a decent tank valve for genesis HP tank of course din thanks my local shop of course dont do din (but can order crap i can do that )
so i am searching now.

There is always wide variety for sale on eBay, used & new. Do a search on ]DIN Valve[

medic13:
does anyone recomend a decent tank valve for genesis HP tank of course din thanks my local shop of course dont do din (but can order crap i can do that )
so i am searching now.

I bought an isolator manifold and valves from Thermo. Cheaper then the other more name brands but the quality is good and parts are readily available.

medic13:
so i am searching now.

Be careful! Genesis steel HP tanks are not standard tank threads! IIRC they are 1/2 inch not 3/4 inch so you can't just use any valve out of the catalogue. They also take a different o-ring than other tank valves. (they are smaller and thinner)

You will have to get the correct valves. I suggest ordering them through your shop just so you can nag them if they get the wrong ones!

Lemonade:
No, I guess, they are not 7/16. Doesn't really matter.
There are two standards, one is much more common than the other.

DiveRite Express has a good paragraph on the subject.
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/valves.shtml

Sorry, we call them 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch around the shop. 3/4 NPS and 7/8 UNF are correct.

There are some really old tanks with true 1/2 inch machine threads on them with post type valves that need teflon tape when you put them together. They are a similar size to 7/8 UNF.

It is the same size as a SCBA tanks (firefighter tank) but the Genesis uses a much thinner O-ring.

medic13:
if i understand right like my older PST tank they are 7/8 UNF correct.

I believe so, but it is worth checking. Pull a valve off of an al 80 and see if it fits is one way. :D

The HP tank is 7/8 machine thread, fine, O ring. The standard S80 aluminum is 3/4 pipe thread, straight, O ring. The old 72 tanks (circa 1950-1962) were 1/2 pipe thread, tapered. Your tank is 7/8, O ring. The DIN valve you purchase MUST be this size. Do not buy a Sherwood Genesis valve if you do not like the slant design. Buy a US Divers or equivalent. The Japanese Thermo also good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom