DIN valve verses standard o-ring tank valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iainwilliams

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I have always used the standard o-ring yoke valve, but recenetly have been getting into deeper diving and thought a DIN valve may be a better option with regard to safety.

An o-ring may burst at anytime with loss of air from the tank.

Can a DIN valve burst?

Is it correct to assume that a DIN valve is a safer option with regard to air loss than an o-ring yoke valve?

Thanks.................Iain

Well for a starter, the yoke is often only rated for 3000 PSI.

Yes, the DIN is considered safer, as the o-ring is "captured" inside the fitting.
I'm not sure if it can burst, leak maybe if the ring is bad. I'm still using yoke so maybe someone else can comment.

iainwilliams:
Hello,

I have always used the standard o-ring yoke valve, but recenetly have been getting into deeper diving and thought a DIN valve may be a better option with regard to safety.

An o-ring may burst at anytime with loss of air from the tank.

Can a DIN valve burst?

Is it correct to assume that a DIN valve is a safer option with regard to air loss than an o-ring yoke valve?

Thanks.................Iain
anything will burst after a certain pressure is applied to it,but the DIN (deutsche industrie norm)valve is for higher pressures (300 bar minimum)and a better connection and therefore safer ,the o ring is captured and usually hold up better then the yoke.

RiverRat:
Yes, the DIN is considered safer, as the o-ring is "captured" inside the fitting.
I'm not sure if it can burst, leak maybe if the ring is bad. I'm still using yoke so maybe someone else can comment.

All I own today are DIN. This is because the chance of extruding an o-ring is smaller because it is captured. 2nd, DIN valves allow a lower profile regulator, in other words, your first stage does not stick out as far. This helps streamline your equipment and prevents line snags because that tightning knob on the back of a standard regulator is not there sticking out.

All in all, DIN is a much better system. But if you cross over to DIN, make sure you also buy a fill block, some dive shops in the USA, do not carry the block to convert their standard fill whips to DIN. Thus when you pull yours out, you will look professional and all divers in the shop will kneel down and kiss your fins. :)

all divers in the shop will kneel down and kiss your fins.

I;ve been trying for this to happen for years..........

Many thanks for people's imput. I placed an order for DIN adapters today - thanks................Iain

iainwilliams:
Hello,

Most high performance regs have both DIN and yoke fittings available, so you don't really have to choose between the two, just buy the other fitting so you can use either. DIN is a higher pressure fitting - it uses a captured "O" ring and deep threading to handle high pressures. Regulator DIN fittings are much easier to damage in handling (before screwing them into the tank) because of the exposed threads. Yokes are much quicker to deal with in a fill station - indeed, in the US it isn't unusual for a fill station to have no DIN tank filling capacity at all, or to be limited to 3000 psi fills because they use a yoke-to-DIN adaper to fill DIN tanks. DIN adapters are popular with cavers and wreck penetration divers because once screwed into the tank, they are much less likely to suffer failure from collision with the cave wall or wreck than a yoke. DIN rental tanks in the US are not common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom