help with DOT numbers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,

I was given two aluminum cylinders (great boss) but I am suspect of them. Before I take them to my LDS, I was wondering if I could get some information about them. I believe that these are going to have issues.

Tank one numbers:

DOT - 3AL 3000J 05877 WK 3A 83 then two date stamps 8 D1/71 98 and 9 B9/16 89 (the slash represents the first number over the second number).

Tank two numbers:

DOT- E7042 - 3000D 10569 WK 2A 79 then three date stamps 6 UE 85 , 7 42/31 91 and 8 D1/71 98

Thanks in advance for any information.

Joe

Ok, after some poking around, I think I may have some of my own answers. These tanks were made by Walter Kidde (sp?). The first tank was hydro'd in '83 and the second in '79 with later hydros done.

I believe both of these tanks fall under the "my LDS will not fill" category that some folks on here have talked about. Am I close?

Joe

JustJoe:
Tank one numbers:

DOT - 3AL 3000J 05877 WK 3A 83 then two date stamps 8 D1/71 98 and 9 B9/16 89 (the slash represents the first number over the second number).
This is a seamless aluminum cylinder sold by Walter Kiddie. It was manufactured from teh "problem" 6351 alloy which is susceptible to sustained load cracking. Original hydrostatic test (presumed manufacture date) was March 1983. The cylinder passed hydro at least two more times in Sept 1989 and Aug 1998. It is about a year overdue for another hydro. The D1/71 and B9/16 markings are the marks of the hydro testing facilities.

Tank two numbers:

DOT- E7042 - 3000D 10569 WK 2A 79 then three date stamps 6 UE 85 , 7 42/31 91 and 8 D1/71 98
This is another Walter Kidde 6351 alloy aluminum cylinder. It seems to be lacking a 3AL marking stamped just above the E7042. This should have been added at a past hydro test. Original hydro (manufacture) date of Feb 1979, with subsequent hydros in June 85, July 91, and Aug 98. It's also aboiut a year overdue for a hydro.

Since both of these cylinders are made from the 6351 alloy which is prone to sustained load cracking you must be vigilant about proper inspection and care for these cylinders. They are perfectly servicable assuming that they pass hydro and visual. The visual examiner may insist on a eddy current (VIP+) test. This is proper for this alloy cylinder.

JustJoe:
I believe both of these tanks fall under the "my LDS will not fill" category that some folks on here have talked about. Am I close?

Joe
Whether your LDS will fill them is a business decision they must make. These are both "bad" alloy cylinders. There is no legal impediment to filling them if they pass appropriate testing.

Drew Sailbum:
This is another Walter Kidde 6351 alloy aluminum cylinder. It seems to be lacking a 3AL marking stamped just above the E7042. This should have been added at a past hydro test.

The 3AL stamp was above the E7042 mark, I even wrote it down but failed to put it in the email. Thanks for the info.

Joe

JustJoe:
Hey All,

I was given two aluminum cylinders (great boss) but I am suspect of them. Before I take them to my LDS, I was wondering if I could get some information about them. I believe that these are going to have issues.

Tank one numbers:

Tank two numbers:

Thanks in advance for any information.

Joe

The E7042 tank should have had 3AL stamped just above the E7042 figures by the last hydro facility, as that exemption has been accepted by DOT as conforming to 3AL standards. The rest of the data you have is valid.

Both those tanks are of the 6351 alloy invovled in the current "witch hunt". Before spending $s to have them hydro tested find out if the shops locally will fill them. They ARE valid DOT tanks, but Florida shops have been especially bad about refusing to fill them, even if all DOT mandated inspections have been properly done. Some consider this a marketing ploy to get you to buy new tanks, others just freak when they see one.

At the end of the day those tanks, if properly and regularly inspected, should be no more risky to fill than any other aluminum tank.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom