Faber Steel Tank Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been looking to switch over to steel tanks with the long term goal of doubling them up. I can get new Faber tanks fairly reasonably, and there's a good selection of sizes available, though I haven't decided yet between 85's or the 95's.

So before I commit, I have a few questions that I know the folks here could weigh in on.

Are there any overwhelming reasons why I shouldn't use Faber tanks versus PST's? Is the white paint easy to maintain? What type of paint would you use to fix it? If you don't paint chips and scratches, does the tank rust, or is the galvanizing underneath the paint enough protection?

Thanks

Marc

I have not had any problems at all with the paint on my spouse's fabers. They have taken a lot of abuse over the last 5 years with approx 70-80 dives per year divided between 4 tanks. It is very chip resistant (I wish I had what ever it is they use) and in the few cases where the paint has been chipped, I have had no problems with rust.

I have a couple of Faber LP 95's I dive as singles.
I dive them in salt and I'm kinda rough on them.
I bought mine used and after 2 years of me they look no different than when I bought them.
Unless I got a killer deal I'd go with the PST just for the Galv. and resale value.

The Faber's are much lighter than the pressed steel. Which to me, being a woman and diving doubles is top on my list.

I dive both faber and pst 95's doubled. With the fabers I need to add about 4 lbs between the tanks to be comfortable in my drysuit. i am 6-4 230 so there is alot of suit to sink. Some prefer the pst's for the galvinized aspect but if you take care of them either should hold up well.

if you rinse them after every dive and take care to inspect them for any chips and repair as needed the fabers will last a long time.
as far as the 85's vs. the 95's.... the 95's are short and fat, the 85's tall and thin. I had a doubled set of both and I found the 95 to be harder to move around in, and the weight of them wasn't as balanced as the 85's. I sold my 95's and now have a set of 85s and a set of E7-100's. although I found the 100's a tad short for me when gearing up, I like the balance underwater, but the 85's get the most use.
IMHO The LP85's are the best tanks to double up unless you need a huge amount of gas. They are balanced great for both tall and short divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom