VIP Tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I just got certified in VIP and am going to try and buy my own gear minus the Eddy current. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good sites where one could buy the equipment necessary? Thanks for your time.

reefraff:

Thanks for your fast reply. I've already checked out the PSI site but I haven't checked out the gm site. The link doesn't seem to be working but I'm sure a quick search will solve that. Thanks once again.

PSI has good stuff but it's fairly expensive. If you are only going to be doing tanks occasionally you can save quite a bit by buying a 2x magnifying mirror from an industrial supplier (McMaster Carr #1017T21 is about $8) and making a tank inspection light from a "rope" or "cable" light - we like the Light Tech 1002, about $10 from Home Depot (the brand doesn't really matter, but you want one that can be shortened, to about 12-18"). A borelight like PSI sells can be had at any gun/outdoor supplier, and many hardware and dept stores, but any small flashlight will do.

Vance,

Thanks for the reply. I did purchase your book and let me say that it is great. I am definitely going to make my own tank inspection light so I guess I'll be heading to home depot after class.

You'll like the rope light as an inspection light. My instructor does our VIP's and she has one and it's like daylight inside the tank.
Ber :lilbunny:

oxyhacker:
PSI has good stuff but it's fairly expensive. If you are only going to be doing tanks occasionally you can save quite a bit by buying a 2x magnifying mirror from an industrial supplier (McMaster Carr #1017T21 is about $8) and making a tank inspection light from a "rope" or "cable" light - we like the Light Tech 1002, about $10 from Home Depot (the brand doesn't really matter, but you want one that can be shortened, to about 12-18"). A borelight like PSI sells can be had at any gun/outdoor supplier, and many hardware and dept stores, but any small flashlight will do.

I went and couldn't find that specific rope light but I bought one of the other ones. The Super Bright Rope Light Kit 2ft for about 4 bucks so I'm hoping that it can be cut and modified to the required length. I'll let everybody know how it goes.

Actually if it's only 2 (two) feet long it should be perfect. Keep in mind how tall the tank is, it's nice to have light down the length of it.
Ber

PSI sells the 90 hardness and most others sell a 70. Which one is the best for replacing the neck o-ring? Which ones have you used?

Dive4Life:
PSI sells the 90 hardness and most others sell a 70. Which one is the best for replacing the neck o-ring? Which ones have you used?
Bill High gets good marks from me for usually knowing what the heck he is talking about. That said, given good sealing surfaces (both on the tank and the valve) and proper installation procedures, I don't think it matters enough to matter. Given bad sealing surfaces or improper installation procedures, durometer ratings are not what needs worrying about. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom