Catalina S90 - Aluminum 90s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigredbill

Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't paying attention to scuba at the time these tanks were originally on the market but I was wondering if anyone knows much about them. The are about the same form factor as my Catalina 80s - same diameter and height - but with a rating of 3300 PSI. I recently purchased these used and they are currently at hydro, but was wondering if anyone knows the construction of these - were they simply Alum 80s that Catalina hydroed and rated to 3300, or were they of different construction - perhaps a thicker wall.

Anyone who know the facts around this I would appreciate hearing from. These are from the late 1980's btw, and seem to be in pretty good shape.

bigredbill:
I wasn't paying attention to scuba at the time these tanks were originally on the market but I was wondering if anyone knows much about them. The are about the same form factor as my Catalina 80s - same diameter and height - but with a rating of 3300 PSI. I recently purchased these used and they are currently at hydro, but was wondering if anyone knows the construction of these - were they simply Alum 80s that Catalina hydroed and rated to 3300, or were they of different construction - perhaps a thicker wall.

Anyone who know the facts around this I would appreciate hearing from. These are from the late 1980's btw, and seem to be in pretty good shape.

I'm no expert on this, but i believe they have a slightly thicker wall to allow for the higher service pressure. I've heard that steel tank manufacturers use a different alloy in their hp tanks, but I don't think this aplies to alum

The walls were thicker, and they were a few pounds heavier than an 80.

Also, as I recall, their actual capacity was only a tad more than 85 cf, which may have something do with why they didn't catch on. With a short fill, always a problem with tanks with oddball pressure ratings, you'd end up with just about the same amount of air as an 80!

I've got one of the AL tanks rated at 3,300 psi. Use it as my second tank after I do two dives off my HP120.

Is it possible that it might be a compact or neutral tank as they are called. If you look at the specifications on catalina web site I believe that they have an alum 80 rated to 3300psi.

Back
Top Bottom