Uses for failed tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, after the debacle of a multi page post with several people saying older equipment is good and more people call those people idiots with a few people effectively arguing that older eqiupment is not good, my tank (from 1973, it's 4 years older than my television) passed hydro with flying colours (.8ml permanent expansion!!!!) and failed VIP. I figure I could try to sell the J valve for a few bucks, but I still have an old US Divers Luxfer AL80 cylider, black with very little paintflecking, with about 6 or 7 old VIP stickers and some "Us Divers Professional" sticker lying around. What should I do with it? Yes I know there are practical examples, such as "recycle it for a few bucks" but I'd love to also hear the wildest ideas you can think of that are feasable to do with relatively little time and money put into it. I'd rather spend money on a new AL80 than to do something crazy with my old one.

What were the given reasons for it failing VIP?

If you dive around personal watercraft, how about this:

Mount it on a pole upside-down (use a broomstick or something through the opening). Paint it completely bright dive-flag red (as many coats as necessary). Now, paint three thick vertical lines spaced 120 degrees apart and going from base (now on top) to neck (now the bottom). Next, paint a thick white line around the circumference of the tank at a point far enough from the base (top) to create three red rectangles around the top. Add the thick diagonal white line to each of these to make three dive flags. (Paint whatever you'd like on the lower part toward the neck... maybe the legal code references to the dive flag statutes.)

Okay, almost done. Now, all you have to do is add a couple "hose clamps" to the cylinder to hold the stick (mast) for the actual flag, and use something to cap the bottom. If it doesn't float upright, ballast it out a little (inside or outside), and add an attachment point for the down line if you haven't already.

TADA!

It may be a little heavier than your average dive flag float, but you can rest assured that it will be more durable than most commercially available floats, and if a PWC runs over it, the float won't get the worst of it. (Optionally, attach a small dry box/bag to the neck with a few rate sheets and salvage contracts so you can save time and get paid more quickly.)

Okay, or there's always "wind chimes".

Generally a VIP is done before the hydro in order to determine if doing the hydro is warrented. Kind of point less to hydo first and than fail it on VIP. Something smells fishy

If a tank is out of hydro, you're not supposed to VIP it. This is quite common with older tanks.

fill it with beer...pressurize it and it could be a miniature keg

A visual inspection is an integral part of the hydro. Why go through the hydro if the tank had pitting, corrosion or other damage that would cause it to fail. I also think there is a problem on the way the shop did their testing. Why did it fail the visual?

Agreed. That's why I asked for the reason it failed in post #2. It's possible the hydro exposed a problem, like a cracked neck.

In our dive club bar, we've got an old 12-litre cylinder that we have cut in half. The bottom half is a swear jar on the bar, and the top half has been mounted on a rope, had an old wrench hung inside, and it is used to call time when the bar is shutting. Far better than a poxy bell...

Mark

We have a guy that cuts ours in half and makes the top half a bell. The bottom halves are weight keepers in the shop. We even have one that was cut length wise and the piece that was cut out was welded to the bottom of it and it is a planter now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom