I know I want steel but so many options??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a recreational diver that is fairly new to diving but has also becone addicted. My diving will be largely fresh water lakes (Dutch Springs) and NJ wrecks but likely the shallower ones (80 feet). I dive a drysuit, S/S BP and 30lbs wing and use nitrox. I know that I want steel but am overhelmed by the choices.

Help.... do I want LP or HP...do I want 80, 85 or 100 and are there any manufacturers I should avoid. I know these are broad questions and somewhat personal but any help will be appreciated.

Chris

Well you're going to get a lot of opinions. I would suggest rent or borrow some different tanks to make up your mind as to what works for you. I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but I'm of the opinion that the biggest tank you can comfortably handle, is the route to take. For example, an HP80 would be fine for an 80 foot dive, but I would say go with a 100 or even 119 if you are big and strong enough to deal with the extra weight. They do help take some weight off the belt, they do give you an extra margin of safety (now is the part where someone rips me for improper gas planning and taking too much gas) plus if you do get into tech diving, and let's be honest you're in Jersey, there might be a good chance of it :wink: you would want something in the range of 100 or 120 for doubles for tech diving anyway. As for HP or LP, I say if you can reliably get HP fills, go for it. More gas in a smaller package.

Hope I help shed a little light on the issue and not confused things further.

Jim

Oh and as for manufacturer's, I'd say Faber or Worthington would be the way to look. Both are good tanks, PST's were great tanks as well, but I don't know what their current status is.

Im going to make an observation here. If your dive count is infact less than 50, your diving a BP and feel the need to dive nitrox and "know" you want a steel, your following the tech trends and are getting way ahead of yourself. Relax, slow down, read, ask questions, dive with as many people as you can in as many different situations as you can. Borrow/rent steels if you can and find what works for you. Then and only then, you will be able to answer your own question. Untill then your just spending money on things that you will dislike in a few months when you learn more.
Good luck, slow down and enjoy. It aint a race to be a techie. It takes time.

PS there is an awsome deal on steel 77s in the deals section.

I'm a LP fan, but you will find people on both sides of the fence

If you're in a spot where you can get LP tanks overfilled (and you don't seem to be) then LP are great. Otherwise I'd have HP tanks. If you're an average sized person then a HP119 is usually the way to go. The HP130 is a nice tank too, but a little bigger.

As for brands, I don't care for Fabers, as I don't like painted tanks. The paint chips off, and they rust. My money would be on the Worthingtons.

The volume of the tank depends on the your air consumption. A dive in Dutch Springs would be great for this. Once you know how much air you consume per minute figure out how long your average dive is. Together you will then figure out how much air you will need on a dive.

The LP vs. HP debate to me depends to me on how long of a tank you want. If you are tall a longer tank will help your trim.

I am 6'5" and dive double HP steel 130 if that helps.

ohmigod.. no one is gonna know what "FTW" is!

Back
Top Bottom