cleaning the outside of old PST 104's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kcanty

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just acquired a set of old 104's and wanted some quick advice.

They had 5-6 old VIP and other stickers and crap on them that
I removed. There is heavy glue and other residue I'd like to clean
off of them. What is a good commercial cleaning solution to use?

Or should I just use soap and water?

Also should I put anything on the small nicks in the tanks that I
think have penetrated the hot-dipped galvanized coating?

I checked previous posts but didn't find any specific recommendations as to cleaning the outside with a specific
cleaning solution.

Thanks for any advice!!

BTW: yes I know they're just tanks and they don't need to be clean on the outside. Also I'm aware that the mottling effect is from the hot-dip galvinization and is permanent.

Kell

There is a product called Goo-Gone that will take sticker glue off, but its more for smaller areas. I would drop PST a note and ask them.

Phil

I use acetone to clean the glue off my cylinders

Roak

I searched for galvanized and cleaning and
missed that thread ( clean and removing were
used in that thread )

Acetone sounds like the ticket. I hope it will get
the permanent marker and painted initials ( of
the previous owner ) off the tank as well as the
the old sticker residue.

Thanks all!

Kell

Use 'mineral spirits' or tar remover (toluene), cut with 1/3 acetone if necessary. Hardware store should have. Do not use acetone on painted surface (check first).

Acetone works well for me. I used to use a chemical called Benzine but it's been taken off the market (something about cancer, blah blah blah). It worked like a charm! Acetone works really well but use gloves, the stuff is hard on your skin (makes it really dry). Acetone shouldn't affect any finish on the metal either. I know some other chemicals will remove paint as well but acetone drys so fast that I doubt it will hurt anything.

Scott

Acetone will dull or strip most lacquers. It will dull vinyl. It doesn't seem to affect urethanes much, slight dulling. It is very damaging to ABS plastic. The problem with acetone is that it dries too fast. A wet rag will become merely damp in about 60 seconds. Because of evaporation, several applications are sometimes needed.

I have a business that requires removing labels and glue all the time, and the best thing we have ever found for the job is a product called "De-Solv-it", it is citrus based and we have never had it harm any type of surface that we have used it on either. It can be found at Wal-Mart and most grocery stores ad it is pretty cheap too.

For the nicks in the galvanizing shoot it will cold glavanizing (galvanized paint). About $5 at Home Depot.

Dave D

Back
Top Bottom