din valve vs k

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Just bought a tank. It comes with a din valve. Is their a big difference in price to buy a regulator that will fit this. Also any pro and cons about this valve. First time I've even seen something like this

you are lucky all my tanks I had to get din valves seperate but I'm guessing if it came standard on the tank the tank is a high pressure tank . it is the standard to use din on tanks with pressures over 3300 PSI or so and yoke fittings on tanks less than. but many divers myself included use din on everything as it is a much more secure fitting the only drawback is if you travel especially to the caribbean you may have a hard time finding rental tanks with din fittings and din to yoke adapters tend to make your reg stick out too far. as far as costs go if you buy a new reg about the same price and if you retrofit an existing reg maybe 30 -60 $ to change it over assuming that reg has a din connector available
joens

If it is not a themo valve you can get a screw in adapter to make it yoke. You will need a ellan wrench to put it in. They make nice valves. so you can use both din or yoke.hope this helps.

Ps if its a themo valve it will say it on the back. And you cannot use the adapter because the valve is to thick. The yoke will not go over the valve.

Just curious what kind of tank you bought, Steel, AL80??? When I bought regs, I specifically wanted DIN fittings. One reason is its a more stable fitting. Another is that if I wanted to dive with HP Steel, I don't have to buy a kit to convert my existing reg setup. I also bought with it a yoke adapter. That way if I ever rent tanks that are yoke, I just screw that onto my first stage and I'm ready to go.

As far as price, there should be no difference in price when you first buy regs. Most shops will give you the option of whether you want a yoke first stage or DIN.

Thomas

The threaded inserts for converting a DIN valve to yoke will not work on HP valves (300 bar), just the 200 bar valves. The valve manufacturers make the HP valve "bulkier" so folks can't slap a low pressure yoke reg onto a HP valve.

In the long run, you'll probably be happier with the DIN stuff, so just go ahead & jump!:wink:

You lucked out. Din valve/reg setups are more streamlined than yoke setups. Get the din adaptor for your first stage, you'll be happy.

It didn't take me too long to get rid of the adapter and, while in service, change my Mares first stage from Yoke to DIN.

My last dive was a DIN one and I was happy with the ease of assembly, very good, tight seal and the added safety.

Go ahead and do the same. You will not regret. Just keep the parts you took of the tank valve and first stage. You'll need them when you are away from your beloved tank.

Ari :)

IMO, The yoke connection should go away. If there is an advantage to it I'm not aware of it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
IMO, The yoke connection should go away. If there is an advantage to it I'm not aware of it.
Lessee, If I dig deeply enough in my pocket of advantages/disadvantages... ah, yes, there's one... "The exposed threads on the DIN fitting on the first stage are more susceptable to damage from rough handling when the regulator isn't attached to the tank than the yoke screw on a yoke adapter."
How's that?
E. itajara

nothing would make me happier than to see all yoke tank valves go away . I am another who has had an O-ring on a Yoke valve fail underwater . I no longer dive anything other than DIN.
chris joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom