What size Pony do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon

Reaction score
I'm not out to spark to pony/no pony debate (that's been done), but I would like to hear what your size preference is from those who use pony's. For some of the diving I want to do a redundant air supply is required. I'm looking at a 30cf but I am concerned that this might be larger than I really want to deal with. I'm planning to rig it under my left arm as a stage. I'd like to hear what size other people are using and what they think about the size. Thanks.

get a 30 or 40

rig it as a stage, clipped to left side

reasons:

viewable
ditchable
donate-able

G_M

For the kind of diving I do, open water rarely deeper than 80', I use a 13 or 19. It's plenty of air to ascend and do a full safety stop with. Mount it any way you want, but PRACTICE with it.
Neil

30 minimum.
Rick

If this is only open water diving then why would you need a huge PONY bottle. He is not doing deco or anything of the sort. 13-19 would be plenty as a bail out PONY bottle. Remember, jon didn't say he wanted to progress into tec or anything.

Jon, get a 13-19. mount in under your arm so you can keep an eye on it with the valve turn OFF. It will get you from 130 to the top with safety stop, that is unless you are hoovering back the O2.

I always enjoy reading posts about using a 13 - 19 cu. ft. as an emergency bailout.

Its real simple: "Use it and create an emergency"

We're not talking about getting by on the minimum that you can possibly use to get to the surface, without safety stops and without returing to the upline.

A proper bailout plan should assume a couple of minutes to identify the problem, a couple more to try to rectify it while using the pony, more time to return to the upline with your buddies and enough time to make a proper ascent with safety stops.

All while breathing more heavily than usual because you are in the middle of a crisis.

Personally, I'd rather have the extra gas and not need it than need it and not have it.

If you search on the threads, you'll find a few posts calculating ascents from 120 fsw using pony's. The math is not pretty.

I carry a 19 cuft pony bottle when diving with my FFM. Should I have a problem with my FFM, I switch to my pony, don my spare mask and make a safe ascent. I tend to agree with other's who use 30 cuft and larger to allow sufficient time to solve/correct the problem and make a safe ascent.

If you are still set on a pony, get a 40 and rig it like a stage/deco bottle then fill it with nitrox.

Just so you know who you are dealing with, Faye has admitted that he is a sockpuppet for ol' Useless Usil. Usil has used this Board to advocate terroristic acts against the United States, particularly including crashing planes into buildings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom