Fixing MINOR nicks/scratches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

Just purchased a 2nd hand 15liter 200bar Faber Nitrox tank (comes nitrox ready from the factory with Nitrox marked on the tank) mfg date 02/2000.

It has some tiny minor nicks in the paint that I think have penetrated the glavanized protection layer. It became a bit rusty red (once again, there are two tiny tiny scratches, 1/16" in size). I wanted to buy a can of Hammerite http://www.hammerite.com/dFinity/hammerite to fix it but they are charging crazy prices here in Israel for this paint and all I need is a touch of a paintbrush...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

One of the chief disadvantages of a painted steel tank is that the paint can hide corrosion (rust). Whenever you do get a scratch that shows rust, the only safe thing to do is to start removing paint around the scratch until you are positive you've reached the end of the rust. Only then should you (1) remove all rust (2) thoroughly clean (I use an acidic bath) (3) prime (4) repaint.
I personally prefer a clear epoxy - so I can see if any rust starts up again. I also do a hydro any time I have to remove any corrosion and repaint. Just in case.
Rick

Nail polish or automotive touch up paint.

Nitrox ready tanks huh? What a rip...

I didn't pay extra for it so it is definitly not a rip... But it is a probably a line of production by FABER as the markings on the tank (beside the ser. num. emty weight working pressure etc..) have the word NITROX as well.

Of course it has a huge MARES NITROX sticker on it also. ANd a small warning sticker that this tank should not be filled to more than EAN 40%.

Anyway, I bought this tank 2nd hand in an EXCELLENT condition but it was not used as a Nitrox tank. So this weekend (no diving conditions ;-0 ) I am giving it for cleaning to make it Nitrox ready again...

Rick: they are realy tiny tiny scratches.. no need for all this procedure... I think.

MechDiver: Nail polish, eh? Just like that? Ok, going to try it out.

THANKS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom