Luxfer Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am enlosing the following from Luxfer for anyone interested. Source Luxfer website. Personally, I am sending one of my old tanks in. BTW FEDEX ground is cheaper than UPS; atleast from my area.
Hope other people can take advantage of this offer.

Luxfer Gas Cylinders

News

Press Releases
Luxfer announces one-year exchange program for scuba tanks made of 6351 aluminum alloy

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (Oct. 22, 2002)—Luxfer Gas Cylinders announced a one-year exchange program for Luxfer scuba tanks made of 6351 aluminum alloy. Introduced at the 2002 Diving Equipment & Marketing Association (DEMA) trade show in Las Vegas, Nev., in October, the new Luxfer program will run throughout the 2003 calendar year.

A number of owners of older Luxfer scuba tanks made of 6351 aluminum alloy have asked Luxfer to initiate such a trade-in exchange program to facilitate the purchase of new scuba tanks made of Luxfer’s proven, proprietary 6061 alloy. In response, Luxfer will implement the simple three-step program outlined below on January 1, 2003. The program will end on December 31, 2003.

1. The customer calls the Luxfer Customer Service Department toll-free (1-800-764-0366) and reports the number of 6351-alloy tanks to be exchanged. The Luxfer customer service representative issues a returned goods (RG) authorization number and tells the caller how to ship tank(s) to Luxfer in order to receive a special $50 credit voucher for each tank. The vouchers may be used toward the purchase of new Luxfer scuba tanks.

2. The customer sends 6351-alloy scuba tanks directly to Luxfer’s plants in Graham, North Carolina, and Riverside, California (whichever is closest), along with the RG number and return mailing information.

3. Luxfer mails a $50 voucher for each tank directly to the customer who returned the tanks. Each voucher may be cashed in toward the purchase of a new Luxfer scuba tank at any participating dive shop or retail store.

If you aren’t sure whether your tank is made of 6351 alloy, look at the original hydrostatic test date (the earliest date) stamped on the cylinder crown. If the stamped year is 1972 through 1987, the tank is made from 6351 alloy. Some 1988 tanks were also made of 6351 alloy. If you have a 1988 tank, please call Luxfer Customer Service toll-free at 1-800-764-0366 to determine whether your tank is made of 6351 alloy.

Very well. My mistake. Can delete if instructed.

Calling this week.

I think you can expect to spend about 1/2 of the rebate in shipping and packing. I just shipped 2 tanks back to Luxfer via UPS ground. Each tank was 41 lbs packed for a shipping cost of just over $20 each. I did not have any tank boxes. Dive shops in my area don't sell tanks very often, so nobody had boxes. I bought a 12x12x60 inch box from UHaul (lamp box). Wrapped some old cardboard around the tank to pad it out to 12 inches for a snug fit. Then cut the length of the box down to fit the tank height.

All in all it cost me $25 to pack and ship each tank. I'm planning on turning my two rebates into one new tank. I don't have a need for two tanks any more being "land locked" here in Colorado.

It may depend where you ship it from. It may not be cost effective I agree. I sent mine to NC using Fed Ex ground and it cost me 9.02. I am in the NE.

Cut the bottom off, paint it up pretty, hang a clapper in it and something attractive to catch the wind from the clapper, and voila! You have a unique, though heavy, wind chime with a deep, clear soothing tone... Easily worth $50.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
You have a unique, though heavy, wind chime with a deep, clear soothing tone... Easily worth $50.
Some time ago I sent in an 80 and a couple of 50s (none of which had failed hydro or vis but they were the *bad* alloy.)

It cost $15 to mail the 80 and a little less to mail the 50s.

Luxfer sent me (my choice) two new 40s and a new 80.

But I think those days are over... and the wind chime idea might be the ticket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom