Is it worthy it to convert my 40 Cu Ft. Pony to Din?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I currently have my SP MK2 with a yoke on my Catalina Pony Bottle. Do you really need all that strength? As for streamlining, it doesn't look like it would be?

What's all your opinions on this?

DIN is far superior to yoke. Unless you're doing strictly recreational (shallow, no overhead, no deco, etc) then you definately should convert.

Personally I would convert no matter what. I use only DIN.

WW

I use Apeks DS4s on my backgas regs and Apeks DS4s on my deco bottle (all DIN). If I am on the boat and one of them fails, I can always switch them out and then just change my profile, i.e. if I have a backgas reg problem, I can switch that reg with my deco reg and just do a shallower profile and stick to NDLs, leaving the deco bottle on the boat.

I converter my 30 cf pony to DIN because a didn’t like the possibility of confusing the first stage regulator knob that tightens the yoke fitting, with the valve knob. The possibility of confusing the two is eliminated with a DIN valve.

I agree with the other posters that DIN is superior, but if your backgas reg(s) is yoke, I wouldn't change the pony bottle.
It really isn't a question of "strength", and yes, they are more streamlined.

MD

The saying goes, one mans trash is anothers treasure! I personally think din is superior. Would yoke work, yes. Is it more expensive to change yoke to din, yes, is it worth it, yes, absolutely, IMO. You will ultimately have to decide for yourself the value of this decision. If you plan on keeping these tanks, you'll get your money back in peace of mind and safety.
Wreck/Tec

MikeS once bubbled...
I converter my 30 cf pony to DIN because a didn’t like the possibility of confusing the first stage regulator knob that tightens the yoke fitting, with the valve knob. The possibility of confusing the two is eliminated with a DIN valve.

I have seen that happen on a training dive. As the guy went to turn on his deco bottle he accidently losened the yoke and the first stage came off in his hand. Luckily the deco mix wasnt required on this dive. He was just carrying the tank to practise using it.

maverick7593 once bubbled...

I have seen that happen on a training dive. As the guy went to turn on his deco bottle he accidently losened the yoke and the first stage came off in his hand. Luckily the deco mix wasnt required on this dive. He was just carrying the tank to practise using it.

That's why you pressurize the stage, then turn it off. If that would have been done, he could not have loosened the first stage. Regardless, he could just have put the first back on and purged it if he needed to use the tank.

MD

GO the way of the wise man, go DIN. Yoke is not such a good connection. Yoke has a much greater chance of oring extrusion. DIN has virtually no chance of that happening. Especially if you are doing slighlty deeper dives with a primary tank and a pony bottle. You dont want that tank to start leaking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom