tank o-ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just rented two tanks for this weekend for some very cold water diving. When I did my equipment check tonight and hooked up my regulator, the tank did not seal against my first stage unless I tightened the yoke on pretty tight...that is, air was leaking unless it was on tight.

Is this safe? Should I not use that tank, even though I can get it to seal just fine?

This may not even be an issue, since I'll probably only do one dive, but still...

Just change the o-ring. If you don't have a spare in your save a dive kit look under the dust cap of your first stage. The one there may fit. 50/50 chance

You can use it as is but after the dive you may not be able to seperate them without five monkeys and a pipe wrench

Hallmac

If it were me I would change the O-ring because if you use it the way it is now you will probably find it difficult to get the first stage off. Even if you don't have an extra O-ring, surely someone in your group will. HTH

Normally, there really is no need to tighten the yoke very hard. It should be just sufficient to keep the O ring in place. The O-ring will do the rest.

I would not get nervous about a bit of air escaping, as long as it stays with a few small bubbles.

However, it indicates the O-ring is damaged. I would not compromise that. I've recently seen an O ring blow in the swimming pool. The guy lost 70 bar in 10 seconds. You definitely do not want that to happen at 100 feet down.... :(

Carry spare o-rings and if you have any doubts change it.

"If it don't feel right then it aint right" definitely applies.

I think most of us have taken unnecessary risks at some stage in diving career but this one sounds like an easy fix.

Also...

Sometimes the valve gets bumped and knocked out of round. The result is the regulator doesn't get pulled against the o-ring unless the yoke is very tight. I see this fairly often with rental tanks.

just dig the old one out and put the new one in? no grease or anything?
i noticed that after closing the valve, the pressure on my spg drops about 750 psi per hour. that's ok for a dive but the o ring was scarred - may as well change it.
BTW I checked my Cressi dust cover and there it was - a brand new o ring. This essential information was NOT covered in my PADI course.

...and if I were you I'd polietly ask your LDS for an extra to replace the one that you used up from your dustcap fixing the problem - they should be more than willing and may give you a couple of extras for future use.

pops once bubbled...
i noticed that after closing the valve, the pressure on my spg drops about 750 psi per hour....../B]

I think that is a boo-boo, but I'd like to know what kind of SPF you have. Any tachometer included?:tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom