Double 120hp divers - Do you like them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the process of gathering lots of information for my first pair of doubles and I've received some great feedback on other threads. Now I'm wondering if I could get some feedback from people actually diving twin 120hps. Do you like them? Do you regret purchasing them? How negative are you when you enter the water? Have you been attacked by any DIR divers? Have you started to use steriods to carry this rig?

I'm sure someone will chime in about the 105lb woman they dive with who wears double 120hps and carries 3 stages, but, really should I make a appointment wiht my back doctor in advance of my first dive? I'm no slouch, but, can a normal person dive with these tanks?

Also, if you are using a halycon wing, which one are you using?

Thanks!

I presently have 2 double 120's on an old zeagle tech bc. great with a crushed neoprene dry suit I need no weight ( I am 235, 6' )
I know some people use the lp 98's and swear they are easier to pump with O2 but I've had no problems so far. Tried a set of double lp tanks and they where way too heavy for me.

I dive double 120's with a tri-lam drysuit and a 55# explorer wing. I wear around 20 lbs of lead 16 on a belt and 4 on an experamental v-weight. There nice to dive and you get use to the weight out of the water, there actualy lighter than lp 120's. The only reason Im even considering getting rid of my set is to go to lp's because Im starting to do my own mixing not that you cant mix with HP tanks just you get a little more out of the source bottles.

LP Doulbe 95s with the old style Halcyon 65 pound wing. Which means it really is a 50 or 55.

Eric

...I own 2 Faber LP120 steels, which I really enjoy....bit I sure can't imagine diving them as twins! They're 50 or lbs each.....the HP120's may be a touch lighter, but I'd certainly want to borrow/rent such a twin set before buying.....

Thanks guys,

scuubaadoo and salty what manifolds and bands are you using?

I think I want a sea-elite manifold although I'm not sure the best place to purchase one as I want good customer service and a warranty. Then I think I want highland bands, but, again, I'm very concerned about getting the right ones. I think I'm going to get the 70lbs halycon wing since I will probably be carrying a stage too. Heck, I'm not even sure exactly how to attach the doubles to my bc (it's set of for a singel right now w/out the single tank adapter).

Any further suggestions? It's not that hard to assemble your own doubles as long as you are careful right?

Thanks!

Also, scubafanatic: yup, I think this rig is going to heavy as h**l and ontop of that I'm kinda of a tall skinny guy (chichen legs), but, I plan on doing some serious dry land training to build up the strenght to handle these big boys out on the rolling charter boat.

Don't know if this helps but here's a place that's selling the sea elite manifold for a great price.

www.divers-supply.com

Look under tank accessories.

By the way, are you looking at faber or pst tanks?

Cheers!!

WOW thanks, that is a great price!

I have one 120 hp PST tank now so I'll be buying another one.

Has anyone ordered from diver-supply, does the manifold come assembled? Does it come O2 cleaned?

Thanks

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
It's not that hard to assemble your own doubles as long as you are careful right?

I haven't done mine yet, but when I'm ready I plan on doing them myself! I have an instructor/freind who has doubles, who can check my work.

There is a lot of helpful information on the Highland Millwork site
http://www.highland-millwork.com/products/doubleband/anatomy/anatomy.html

Good luck!!

I think they are a great tank. I have two sets of LP 112's, but alot of guys i dive with have the HP 120's twins. I have used them a few times, and I have to say, they are a nice set of doubles. Not quite as heavy as the 112's but the buoyancy is still negative at the end of a dive. And, much lighter on the surface. Very manageable set of tanks, with just the right amount of gas for technical diving. Just make sure that you can get them filled to 3500. I have HIGHLAND bands on all my doubles, and I love them. Joe makes a specific set of bands for each particular tank. Check the website to make sure you get the right ones. As far as a manifold goes, I love the Dive Rite 300 bar. Works well, and is very nice to maintain. I would also recommend Halcyon. The Halcyon manifold has nicer knobs than the Dive Rite. But, you could always change the knobs on the Dive Rite... Good luck, and good choice on doubles...:)

Back
Top Bottom