Who can identify a steel tank from stampings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of buying a used tank. I think it's a steel 120, but the seller doesn't seem to have much information on the tank. The cylinder is stamped "roth 2002/86909ps232bar ts-30+60 c m25x62 pt 348 bar2002/3 v15L 18.3 kg dive air ce0062".

There isn't any inspection sticker on the tank. Any information about what it is, or what it's worth? Is it going to be a pain to get it certified for filling at the LDS? It doesn't look beat up, but I suppose it could be rusty under the paint.... I'm thinking I can get it for less than $250.

Sounds like a European tank - especially as there is a CE rating, no DOT rating, the tank size is given in liters (15), pressure in bar (232), and the metric tank valve thread size is stamped on the tank (M25).

Avoid it like the plague - especially for $250, you could almost buy a new 120cf tank for that money.

sounds like a 15l (or 98) 232 bar tank made in 2002 - which is why no inspection stickers.

Sounds expensive

Jonathan

Later
Looks like we agree - I was off checking some info and see I was beaten to the post....

It is NOT authorized for SCUBA use by the US DOT.

Without a DOT authorization it is ILLEGAL to put this cylinder into SCUBA service and no Authorized Hydrostatic Retester will retest and stamp it with a Hydro Stamp.

In addition, PROPERLY trained Visual Cylinder Inspectors will NOT put an evidence of inspection sticker on it to put it back in service.

Sounds to me like maybe the guy selling it has found out the hard way that he can't use it for SCUBA and is trying to dump it off to recoup his cash.

Good luck,

C_C

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses.

Jonathan once bubbled...
sounds like a 15l (or 98) 232 bar tank made in 2002 - which is why no inspection stickers.

Sounds expensive

I agree that a 15L tank would be a 98 cu foot tank at 2640psi, but at 232 BAR, I think it actually should hold close to the advertised 120 cu feet of air. http://www.omsdive.com/cyl_spec.html

As far as price, my LDS is selling HP steel 120s for $379. The $250 for the used tank includes the shipping charges.... (No I haven't seen the tank. Perhaps it's not such a great idea to buy used SCUBA gear sight unseen.)

So unless there is a DOT stamping on the tank, it can only be used in Europe? My Mares (Italian) regulator has a CE rating, but is also approved for use in the US.

Do I understand you all to be saying that unless it said DOT approved when it was manufactured, it can't be certified for use in the US at all? Ever?

it can not be LEGALLY placed into SCUBA service in the US.

C_C

Rev. Blade once bubbled...
So unless there is a DOT stamping on the tank, it can only be used in Europe? My Mares (Italian) regulator has a CE rating, but is also approved for use in the US.
Department Of Transport is only interested in compressed gas cylinders, not scuba regulators.

There are better deals out there - keep an eye out on eBay. About the only way you could use this tank is to have your own fill station at home.

The last steel faber 15l I baught in the UK (3 years ago) was £150 or about $225 ( at todays rate ) - do you guys really pay more than $300?

Jonathan

i bought a couple of scubapro euro steel tanks. i have a way to fill them myself, but i want to make sure they are safe. they were made in '97 so they should be okay but i would like to get them hydro'd. does anyone know if a hydro place can hydro them?

by having a stamp on the crown of the cylinder that reads:

DOT 3AA

It is not eligible for hydrostatic retest for the purpose of SCUBA use.

You may find someone to perform the test, but it is ILLEGAL for an authorized Hydrostatic Retester to STAMP a cylinder with retest information.

Hope this helps.

C_C

Back
Top Bottom