How expensive is an O2 Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Out of pure lazyness, and a lack of resources, I decided to give my Isolator Manifold to the closest dive store I could find, and have it O2 Serviced.
5 WEEKS later, I picked it up, It cost me $132.00 !!!

Is this unreasonable? What are you paying? Was I raped?

Dave

Aquamaniac wrote...
Extremely! $25.00. No doubt.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
Out of pure lazyness, and a lack of resources, I decided to give my Isolator Manifold to the closest dive store I could find, and have it O2 Serviced.
5 WEEKS later, I picked it up, It cost me $132.00 !!!

Dave

Ouch!!! Dude you got raped!!

The kits are about 20 bucks canadian (retail) and I can knock one off in 45 mins ( our labour rate is 45 dollars canadian an
hour!)

we charge about 55 total I would certainly lodge a complaint!

Good luck

Len

o2 cleaning is free dude...all you need is either 1) some simple green 2) some viton o-rings 3) some Christolube OR 4) some o2 to blow through your tanks :wink: and 5) some stickers.

I would clean my own even if I didn't own a shop but...unless you live in North Florida you'll need to know a blender who trusts your work otherwise you'll need your own fill station.

O-ring once bubbled...
o2 cleaning is free dude...all you need is either 1) some simple green 2) some viton o-rings 3) some Christolube OR 4) some o2 to blow through your tanks :wink: and 5) some stickers.
You got Christolube for free? I'll supply my own Viton, Simple Green, clean air, and elbow grease... don't need a sticker for a manifold.
Just send the Christolube to me at
2549 Aimee Drive,
Montgomery, AL 36106
Thanks,
Rick
---------------
By the way, $132 for O2 cleaning is outrageous - I'd personally give the shop owner one opportunity to refund at least $100 before spreading the word that he's running a front for larceny.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

You got Christolube for free? I'll supply my own Viton, Simple Green, clean air, and elbow grease... don't need a sticker for a manifold.
Just send the Christolube to me at
2549 Aimee Drive,
Montgomery, AL 36106
Thanks,
Rick
---------------
By the way, $132 for O2 cleaning is outrageous - I'd personally give the shop owner one opportunity to refund at least $100 before spreading the word that he's running a front for larceny.
I am on pretty good terms with my LDS. You're right though, that stuff is mad expensive if you buy it.

Many thanks to all of you for responding.
At least now I know where I stand with this store, And I will not be driving up past Dobbins Air Force Base again.

Here was their reply to my complaint.

Dave:

My service technician is THE BEST in the metro Atlanta area. If you want cheaper service like many stores in the diving industry, certainly there will always be someone who charges less whether it is service, parts, equipment, gas fills etc.

We charge to O2 clean valves 40.00 per valve section or piece, it sounds like you had a double valve with an isolator? I don't have your paperwork to verify this.

We do value you very much as a client and as a friend. Without clients like your self we would cease to exist.

However when it comes to repairs and service and especially in regards to the technical areas and most especially cave and cavern applications, these are realms in diving where your safety is a lot more important then money don't you agree?

The other stores in the are besides not having the se4vice manager we are blessed to have who not only does excellent work for retail consumers like your self, but also for 40 other dive stores throughout Atlanta and the Southeast, due to his excellent skills. His background is probably also unique, and we rarely (he never does) impress upon clients his true technical background.

We certainly want you to be happy. So please accept our apology if you are upset. I do not feel our prices are unjustified for the services we provide.

I hope you realize that in addition to excellent service all brands of regulators,buoyancy devices, cylinders, valves and computers. You like any of our clients are welcome to test out your recently serviced equipment in either of our two stores indoor heated pools. MANY of our clients that are into Cave or Cavern Diving do this and practice not only ensure their skills are honed but also to double check their equipment.

Have a great day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom