Tank Boot on X series tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rb-mdi

Registered
Reaction score
So I just bough my first tank, a XS Scuba/Worthington X7-80. It came with a nice black rubber boot to help it stand upright. Should I remove the boot? I've read a lot about line corrosion due to boots, and I'm wondering how susceptible are the X series tanks to boot induced corrosion? Thanks for info/opinions...

Just popped mine off my 85's after almost two years of being on. No problem.

As long as they are hot dipped galvanized (which I'm sure they are) then you should have no issues. The boot that comes with Worthington cylinders has large holes that let the water drain out. Older tank boots only had one small hole in the bottom and water could be retained in these tank boots for months on end, leading to corrosion.

This shouldn't be a problem anymore and you should be able to leave the tank boots on for extended periods of time. Even so, knock them off occasionally and clean off any crud (salt/dirt etc). Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you. :)

Also if they rust then contact XS and they will send you a new one. They have a no rust guarantee and yes I have used it!!

This is the damage caused by the older tank boots with only one small hole in the bottom. These are LP95s someone loaned me that had been sitting in their garage for a few months. This particular tank still had water in the tank boot even after sitting in the garage for awhile. i have also heard that Faber had a bad batch of tanks awhile back that were prone to rust, maybe this tank was from that batch. Who knows....

The designs on most modern tank boots have large drainage holes so the water drains out almost immediately and there really shouldn't be any issues.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

This is the damage caused by the older tank boots with only one small hole in the bottom. These are LP95s someone loaned me that had been sitting in their garage for a few months. This particular tank still had water in the tank boot even after sitting in the garage for awhile. i have also heard that Faber had a bad batch of tanks awhile back that were prone to rust, maybe this tank was from that batch. Who knows....

The designs on most modern tank boots have large drainage holes so the water drains out almost immediately and there really shouldn't be any issues.

rust1.jpg

rust2.jpg

That tank was also not galvanized either. That is ugly. That is why I would never buy a non galvanized tank.

A question to the OP: you mentioned that your tank came with a “nice black rubber boot”; the new high drain design boots I am familiar with are mostly like a semi-rigid plastic…is that what you are talking about or is it something different? The new boots are easy to recognize because they also have inside ribs to allow water to flow by the sides.

That tank was also not galvanized either. That is ugly. That is why I would never buy a non galvanized tank.
This was a Faber LP95, so it has (had?) their "triple-coat": cold-spray galvanized, painted white with a powdercoat, and has a layer of polyurethane. Sitting in a tank boot full of seawater for months on end probably wouldn't be good for any tank, although I'm sure that hot-dipped galvanized tanks would have probably fared better.

Here are two shots from the other tank -- boot was a bit more dry and the corrosion wasn't as bad. You can plainly see bumps under the paint where it's starting to corrode, and in the second picture you can see that the bumps end exactly where the tank-boot stopped.

bumps1.jpg

bumps2.jpg

yep, mine is the semi-rigid black plastic boot, I mistakenly used "rubber" in a very loose, general sense. Overall I'm pretty comfortable that with a bit of maintenance and thorough freshwater rinsing following ocean exposure my tank should not end up like those in the post above

yep, mine is the semi-rigid black plastic boot, I mistakenly used "rubber" in a very loose, general sense. Overall I'm pretty comfortable that with a bit of maintenance and thorough freshwater rinsing following ocean exposure my tank should not end up like those in the post above

Yup. The boots on X-Series Worthington's (XS Scuba and Sea Pearls distribute in the US) and E-series PSTs are just fine to leave on.

I'd be more careful with painted Fabers. The only Fabers I own, though, are doubled up, so there aren't any boots on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom