OMS Troll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
From their valve FAQ... (my highlights):

WHY OMS VALVES DO NOT COME EQUIPPED WITH RUBBER KNOBS

OMS manifold valve knobs are manufactured from medium durometer plastic to prevent wedging and accidental turning should the manifold come in contact with the overhead environment .

Rubber has many drawbacks. It is subject to rapid UV deterioration and sudden failure, is usually a low durometer material, has a high coefficient of friction (it s grabby), and is therefore more prone to being turned by anything it comes in contact with. For example on a set of manifold doubles, the Divers left side valve knob (rubber) would wedge and turn to the closed position (unexpectedly shutting off the gas supply) more so than plastic. On similar note Cave divers discarded rubber cylinder boots long ago, after they discovered that they had a tendency to wedge in restrictions, causing the diver to become stuck.

Cave divers dumped rubber tank boots because divers were getting stuck?!?

Ahhh no.. Rubber knobs are better. You can grip them with and without gloves. They absorb shock if you hit the roof. It is an OMS "version" of the truth.

Eric

I find it funny that all of their product descriptions include defensive statements. At least they've given up bashing competitors products directly.

I knew about the rubber knobs, but the line that cave divers dumped rubber tank boots because divers were getting stuck by wedging the boots into a restriction?!?

Well, you need to be creative with the ad copy. It is similar to Abysmal's ad campagin that ran a while back with the pic of a child by a tomb stone. Scare the cr*p out of the diver and make them feel your product adds that margin of saftey.

Eric

IMO, boots (all boots not just rubber) are bad because they can snag on things. Restrictions are one of those things.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I find it funny that all of their product descriptions include defensive statements. At least they've given up bashing competitors products directly.

I knew about the rubber knobs, but the line that cave divers dumped rubber tank boots because divers were getting stuck by wedging the boots into a restriction?!?

These "defensive statements" don't seem any different than the various pronouncements on DIR gear choices that can be found on the web at GUE and WKPP. To me, they are just the reasoning behind a design, the DIR guys have their reasoning, and the two happen to be different.

That said, I like rubber better.

Scubaroo,

I would not take anything written by OMS too seriously.

Neither GUE or the WKPP sell dive gear. Their reasons for recommending certain gear is without financial motivation. You cannot say the same about OMS.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...
Scubaroo,

I would not take anything written by OMS too seriously.

Neither GUE or the WKPP sell dive gear. Their reasons for recommending certain gear is without financial motivation. You cannot say the same about OMS.

GUE doesn't sell dive gear, but Extreme Exposure and Halcyon do.(JJ owns all 3)

...the trolling has been productive.

Didn't mean for this to turn into another OMS-DIR pissing match (such a descriptive term!). Leadweight, you're right about the similarities to GUE/DIR claims - everyone pushes their position as being "right".

I just thought that it was a bit of a jump for OMS to claim rubber valve knobs were bad because cave divers' rubber tank boots were getting wedged in restictions, which sounds like total BS to me. I thought boots were a bad idea because of streamlining and rusting issues, not because they were trapping divers :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom