Removing Paint From Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
I saw the thread about painting tanks and was wondering about removing paint. I have two aluminum 80's, one has just aluminum but the other is painted blue. I've always wanted to get the blue off but wasnt' sure whether it would leave the aluminum unprotected or something.

These are US. Divers tanks bought in 1997. I'd like to just get some paint remover and get it all off of there. Is this OK? If so, will I think have to coat the bare aluminum with something?

Thanks,
Tony

Be very careful - you can easily damage the tank. I think you'll pretty much find that this is a big job with limited benefit, but to each his own.

A search of this board will turn up a lot of prior discussion on this subject, but here's one thread that I found.

Tank stripping, priming and re-painting

Would you like fries with that?

Steven

OR -

you could roll it around in a gravel parking lot to even out the scratches...

I'm sorry. Bob3 just killed me that that in another thread...

I gotta pee.

Check the net, lots of good articles on stripping tanks. I believe that I read that "ZEP" is one of the recommended paint strippers that should be used. I have used a bead blaster but you have to get it done smoothly and quickly or it is suddenly a very tall lamp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom