Conducting your own VIS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadoo72

Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering what a visual actually involves. I have a few alum tanks with current hydros, but not VIS...I have my own compressor so filling isn't an issue...but, I would like to be able to conduct the same steps for a VIS myself. What does this entail? Or is there somewhere I can do a course online to do these?

Online course? Never heard of that. I took a PSI course and it was well worth it.

When done correctly, a VIS entails an thorough examination of the interior and exterior of a tank, an examination of the threads, and a detailed recording of any problems found with the tank. It should include an inspection of the valve on the tank if there is one, the o-ring for that valve if one is needed, and a few other things.

Some of the items needed to properly conduct an inspection are specialty tools, and some are pricey. Why not sign up for a proper course. It's really a good investment.

Most VIS inspections (we call 'em VIPs) consist of the visual inspections described above, and also an eddy current inspection on the female threads in the tank neck. This inspection detects minute cracks in the threads that would likely be invisible to the naked eye.

If you think about the stress that's on a tank valve when the cylinder is filled with air, you'd be VERY careful how you treated the tank. Thread failure can result in catastrophic separation of the valve from the tank and nobody wants to be anywhere nearby when that happens.

TDI is a source for visual inspection classes as well. The process isn't too difficult and the tools are readily available. Either take the course from PSI or TDI, its well worth the knowledge gained.

Take a class and buy a pack of stickers. Done deal.

Take a class and buy a pack of stickers. Done deal.

Recognizing the stickers is another issue.

There's no requirement that any fill station accept any particular VIP or "O2 clean" sticker, so even if you go to the trouble of getting certified and doing your own tanks, you might not actually receive any benefit for your effort.

If I was the guy doing the fills and a tank came in with an inspection cert I didn't recognize, there's no way I'd fill it. Having a tank neck explode because the inspector missed a neck crack can ruin your whole day.

Terry

Most VIS inspections (we call 'em VIPs) consist of the visual inspections described above, and also an eddy current inspection on the female threads in the tank neck. This inspection detects minute cracks in the threads that would likely be invisible to the naked eye.

If you think about the stress that's on a tank valve when the cylinder is filled with air, you'd be VERY careful how you treated the tank. Thread failure can result in catastrophic separation of the valve from the tank and nobody wants to be anywhere nearby when that happens.

The OP did not say what type of aluminum cylinders they have so for clarification as of Jan 2008 the eddy current test is only REQUIRED at the time of requal (aka hydro) on cylinders made from Aluminum Alloy 6351.

Here are the affected cylinders:

http://hazmat.dot.gov/pubs/reports/cylinder/3al_advisory.pdf

And here are requirements:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20061800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/pdf/E6-14255.pdf

Luxfer recommended that this be done every 2.5 years:

Luxfer: Press Releases

As such, technically an eddy current test is no longer part of the scuba diving industry standard of an annual visual inspection process. However, some shops make up their own rules and require it for all aluminum cylinders. YMMV

Taking a course from PSI/PC or TDI will educate you on this a much more about the inspection process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom