considering old tank, is K fitting to DIN ok..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theslyfox01

Contributor
Reaction score
Brisbane, Australia. Though I'd rather be home in
# of dives
100 - 199
G'day guys, I'm about to buy my first SCUBA tank! yay! :D ..after that all I need is the actual SCUBA unit :( but I'll scrape up the cash for that soon enough.

The tank is an alum. 88 and the guy im getting it sent down from Sydney says:

"The tank is a 88 aluminum that is about 10 years old. I had it hydro tested in March 03 and passed with no problems. The valve in it is only 12 months old and is a K fitting with a screw out centre that converts it into a DIN."

It's $US50 which I think is a good deal (plus the postage to get it sent down here) my query is whats the story with the K fitting with the screw out conversion, is that normal or are there some problems with that set-up, ie because its converted from a K fitting I'll only be able to pump 200 BAR into it or something, or perhaps its a unstreamlined connection, anyone with any thoughts? Thanks dudes

:)

which means that with the insert threaded in, its a K valve. with it out, its a 200 bar din valve. They are good valves... I have some on my LP steel tanks. I dont think that its very useful to have two in one. I never use a yoke connection anymore, so 300 bar DIN is better for me. 300 bar DIN fitting on my regs, they kinda stick out a little bit when using a 200 bar DIN valve. With the aluminum tank, if fill pressure is 3000 psi, its no problem to use this valve. The only problems i have ever seen with this valve is that some old yoke connections on first stages wont fit over this valve, because of the larger thickness of the valve. If you use DIN, then disregard that...

This 200 bar valve that has a K valve insert is so that this one tank can be used with Yoke or Din regulators. There is not a problem with the set up. This din valve is not rated for High Pressure though.

Included is a photo of a manifold that shows one valve with the insert and the other without.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom