LDS prices on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am in the market for a lp steel tank, so I inquired on prices from a local lds in my area. He quoted me $450 + tax (Texas) for a OMS C98 and that's with $50 off since they are having a sale!!! I saw the same tank on LP for $279. Is this price normal or is it really inflated? If I order a tank from LP I would need a VIS. Is this something they would give me grief about since the tank was ordered via the net??? Needless to say I didn't bother asking about PST tanks.

I have been reviewing the threads on tanks and have narrowed my choice to PST LP95 or the LP104, both of which LP carries. Thanks to the board and it's members for all the information posted it really helps in the decision process.

Many shops offer you stuff at MSRP.
I'm pretty confident that MSRPs on PST tanks are significantly lower than OMS' ones. Ask.

This one was discussed once before, here.

I just got back from Divers Direct today and saw their 120 HP (this one) for about $50 cheaper than the online price. Guess it pays to live in FL :wink:.

If thats your dilemma, my best be would be to go with LP.....or find an excuse for a vacation to FL :shades:.

A while ago I did some research looking to buy 100cf HP steel tank.

If you cannot get a reasonable price from the shop, Faber 100s are available from www.divesales.com for $275 shipped, Pressed Steel 100s - from www.diveus.com for $305 shipped.

The quotes are to my ZIP code.

At the end I decided to buy from a local shop.

storms once bubbled...
If I order a tank from LP I would need a VIS. Is this something they would give me grief about since the tank was ordered via the net.

The LDS I deal with would not but some would. Depending on where you are in TX, you may have lots of options for service. Talk to him about online prices & what he would charge for service if you go that route. If you are not comfortable, look elsewhere.

OMS tanks seem to be overpriced for what you get. They're just Faber tanks with a paint job and an OMS decal, so save some money and buy a Faber if you're sold on them.

Both EE and FifthD will sell you Pressed Steel LP 104's for about $325.00 (no valve). I bought a pair of PST LP104s locally for $300.00 (with a valve). The LDS confessed to selling the PST's as a loss leader, though. I'm told that cost is $275.00 on the LP104's.

You might be able to order the PST tanks even if your shop doesn't carry them. I happened to wheel my PST's into a different LDS the other day for a fill, and their filler asked me where I got the tanks. I told them that I had purchased them from a local competitor because his shop didn't carry them. Their "tech" guy piped up and said that he could have ordered them, since the PST distributorships are pretty flexible.

If the price difference between your LDS and LP is that far off, if you are on reasonable terms with your LDS, then ask them to try to come partway down on the price.

Certainly they may not be able to match the price of LP, but they may be able to decreast the difference by some amount such that the difference is be reasonable since you would be saving part of that difference from the shipping costs + vis.

AzAtty wrote...
Both EE and FifthD will sell you Pressed Steel LP 104's for about $325.00 (no valve). I bought a pair of PST LP104s locally for $300.00 (with a valve). The LDS confessed to selling the PST's as a loss leader, though.
Interesting "confession", then. Mine were $245.00 each (no valve), plus shipping.

I saw the price you got on an earlier post, Metridium. You got a great deal, and I'm thoroughly jealous. EE claimed that cost on their tanks was $275, and the LDS claimed that after shipping and the valve, $300 was a loss leader. Do I believe that's what the LDS or EE paid for them? Of course not. I'm sure they have overhead and other charges built into their "cost". I'm quite certain that "loss leader" in this case is "there isn't a big spread."

AzAtty once bubbled...
OMS tanks seem to be overpriced for what you get. They're just Faber tanks with a paint job and an OMS decal, so save some money and buy a Faber if you're sold on them.

OMS tanks do alot better than Faber as far as corrosion goes. They are not the same tank. I would buy OMS tanks before Faber. Worth the money.

I'm told that cost is $275.00 on the LP104's.

Not exactly. Thats a little high. The cost is a little cheaper than that...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom