Schrader Valve won't connect to my BCD!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Scubaboard - This is my first post!
I recently purchased a Seaquest Balance BCD and an Apeks ATX200 regulator (that included a hose for a power inflator on it) and had them both serviced. Upon getting them back from the LDS I went to I noticed the schrader valve for the power inflator doesn't want to connect to the BCD. Isn't this something they would have checked out during servicing? I know schrader valves come in different sizes for different types of compressed air applications but aren't most if not all the onces used for scuba the same size?

When I lift the ring and shove it onto the BCD connection it slides over and goes all the way on, however the ring doesn't want to slide back into place completing the connection. I've tried rotating the ring to see if it will only drop in a certain place to no avail.:confused:

I've come to the conclusion that the schrader is too small and decided to ask you all as well.

Maybe the valve wasn't screwed in completely. If its a typical schrader valve, you can try turning it a little clockwise using jeweller's screwdrivers. I know this isn't the proper tool for it (I use forceps :D ) but it works for me. I assume that when we talk of the schrader valve, we are talking of the little part that screws into the female end of the QD connector. The only way from the sleeve to not completely lock into place is if the little balls that slide into the groove and hold it in place are prevented from doing so if the connector isn't completely pushed in.
I'll try to send a diagram if this doesn't help.
If all else fails, bring them back to the LDS.

Hello Drums Addict-Welcome to Scuba Board.

I agree that the best method of connecting an inflator or inflator/regulator to your first stage is with a standard second stage (or Miflex) hose coupled with a screw on adapter with a quick disconnect. There are a few advantages to doing it this way. For one thing, l/p second stage hoses come in a large variety of lengths making routing much simpler. Additionally, if the hose becomes defective one only needs to change it out. See the link below for an online supplier of hoses and adapters.

Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Couv

Actually, I'm pretty sure SeaQuest uses a different fitting. At least I had some problems trying to interchange between my old ADVi BC and a DiveRite wing.

The Trident catalog (Google for it) indicates a different fitting for SeaQuest, Mares and Apex. See pages 18 & 19

Richard

Those pesky little things do vary among manufacturers.

I do so wish the industry would standardize those things !!!

the K

There are three basic styles of BC inflators. They are the standard, Scubapro, and the IQRD inflator. None of them are interchangeable.

If I were to guess, you probably have a hose with the IQRD inflator end on it (female end) and you're trying to install it on a standard inflator male end. Look down inside the female end of the hose: if you see the end of a Schraeder valve, then you have a standard inflator. Look at the male end on the BC: is it a standard post, which has a small hole in the end of it bridged by a solid piece of metal (this pushes the end of the Schraeder valve open)?. If it does, then they should match.

The IQRD end is the same size on the outside as the standard hose, but if you look into the end of it, you see a small cup-shaped metal piece and NO SCHRAEDER VALVE. Try as you might, this won't fit on a standard post.

Go to Trident scuba's catalogue which is available on the web, and look on page 16. At the top of the page, item #A235 has the standard post on the top. Item #A236 is the Scubapro post, and A237 is the IQRD post. The Scubapro hose female end is relatively huge; you shouldn't have any trouble identifying that one. The other two are about the same size and can be confused. I know this first-hand because I've confused them more times than I care to admit.

Bottom line: if you look in the female end and can see the end of a schraeder valve, you've got a standard hose and its male counterpart should look like A235. If it looks like you're staring down at a small coffee cup when you look in the end, it's an IQRD and its male counterpart will look like A237.

Hope this helps some.

tfsails, you've figured this out for me, I must have a IQRD inflator hose. I happened to find another inflator hose which connected properly and upon looking inside I found exactly what you described. Inside the standard inflator hose I could see the schrader valve and inside this other hose I could only see a little metal cup, I thought for a minute if it was a broken off connector nipple jammed up in there. But I guess not!

Thanks again for all the insight everybody.:)

Back
Top Bottom