Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Best way to remove tank valve?

Directional Toast
    Go Red - Support SB!

Still breathing

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by cappyjon431 View Post
    Definitely good advice, but I always remove the burst disk (slowly) before removing the valve. Loosening the burst disk a couple of threads is the easiest way I have found to insure the tanks are empty if the valve handle is inoperable.
    If there is any possibility that the tank has O2 in it, do not attmempt burst disc removal and also do not attempt to try to remove the valve if you cannot get the valve open. The tank can and probably will explode as the friction of the threads creates an ignition source for the O2 and oxides in the tank.

In general use an open end wrench that fits the valve, if flats are provided on the valve. If no flate are provided and you have to use the face and back of the valve for "flats", use hard wood (oak) strips between the valve and the jaws of a pipe wrench.

Alos note that if the valve is hard to remove, the potential to gall the threads in an aluminum tank is significant and if that occurs you now have 30 pounds of scrap aluminum, not a scuba tank.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Registered

says "Bet your life
    on it?"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by R0gue View Post
    Use a smooth jaw wrench and it won't leave the marks like a typical pipe wrench.
    Smooth Jaw Wrenches
    Smooth jaw wrenches used to be called "monkey wrenches". Now you need to decide if it calls for a right-hand or left hand!
    rhwestfall likes this.
    Lee

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Nuclear Engineer at Spree

Photos
    The best luck I've had without damaging anything is to: Turn the cylinder upside down in a machinists' vice. Clamp the hell out of the valve flats in the vice. If you do this, the cylinder will not slip, and the valve will not be dinged. Wrap a strap wrench around the cylinder and put a significant cheater on the strap wrench. I use the same strap wrench that I use on my Detroit Diesel oil filters. If after you apply all the torque you can apply and it still doesn't move, have your wife beat on the bottom of the cylinder with a rubber mallet to shock the cylinder. I haven't had it fail yet, and I don't round the flats of the valves either.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Or Moncke, to give credit where it is due ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Leadking View Post
    Smooth jaw wrenches used to be called "monkey wrenches".

perpetual scuba student

former instructor

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyhacker View Post
    Or Moncke, to give credit where it is due ;-)
    Neat; but alternatively, quoting:
    Charles Moncke@Everything2.com
    Charles Moncke was a London blacksmith; according to legend he invented the monkey wrench. A difficulty with this theory is that the British call a … wrench a spanner. In 1932-33, the Boston Transcript traced the invention to 1856, crediting it to a Yankee named Monk, employed by the firm of Bemis and Call in Springfield, Massachusetts.
    We may never know.
    What's that scuba acronym?
    List of scuba agencies.
    Did you know nitrox and altitude can cancel?

To err is inevitable.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.” ― Dale Carnegie

Registered

In over my head!

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    In Cambodia we used a large Tie Down Strap attached to a concrete telephone pole. We used a large crescent wrench and a cheater bar. Works real well, the trick is to keep the tank from moving.
    if the valve is not working most times is that the hand wheel is stripped, replace the hand wheel and then bleed air .
    Of course if the valve still works, the best test that the tank is empty is to have valve open and blow into the tank and should fill up to about 7 bar and you can feel on your cheek. the danger is if you let the air out fast you could have ice build up and still have lots of pressure so always a good idea to blow hard into valve to check, if the valve is cold, before you pop the top.
    When you put it back together don't forget liberal amount of silicon in threads. For tanks with more that 32% Oxygen have a certified tech work on, Oxygen is what they use to fuel the space shuttle! (O2)
    Last edited by knotical; October 11th, 2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: removed commercial link

ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

"She turned me into a
    Newt"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I would a) make sure tank is empty, b) try to get some soapy water into the tank, it shouldn't take a lot, and c) after getting soapy water in invert tank for a few and allow liquid to penetrate the valve threads. You are removing the valves anyways so a hydro, cleaning and vis is in order. If there is in fact a scale or oxidation in the threads soaking from the outside does not get past the O-ring. Last resort, after making sure tank is empty, cut in half for a cool little grill for burgers and hot doggies, yum!!!

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookie View Post
    The best luck I've had without damaging anything is to: Turn the cylinder upside down in a machinists' vice. Clamp the hell out of the valve flats in the vice. If you do this, the cylinder will not slip, and the valve will not be dinged. Wrap a strap wrench around the cylinder and put a significant cheater on the strap wrench. I use the same strap wrench that I use on my Detroit Diesel oil filters. If after you apply all the torque you can apply and it still doesn't move, have your wife beat on the bottom of the cylinder with a rubber mallet to shock the cylinder. I haven't had it fail yet, and I don't round the flats of the valves either.
    Listen to the above post, if this doesn't work scrap the tank. best suggestion here...

Registered

sampling good bourbons while
    waiting for the ice to melt...

Dives
    100 - 199
    2010 thread....... think he is still working on the tanks? How many grills or wind chimes do you think he has by now?
    ajtoady likes this.
    Bob

getting GOT a Kraken!!!!

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    I guess it helps to look at original post date.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast