Is the Eddy-current test REALLY necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Or is it just another scuba industry way to milk a few more dollars out of us?
Is it even mandatory test? Does it need to be done every year, with every VIP?

From what I understand, they started doing it a few years ago, because of a bad alloy (don't remember the #) that at this point was used more than a few years back, by Luxfer and I think maybe Catalina to a lesser degree. But is it really necessary to do the test on newer tanks that aren't using that elcrapo alloy?

I'm a liveaboard...and soon going to be without a car. I was thinking of getting the PSI certification, for convenience even more than for saving money. But obviously I'm not going to have an eddy machine on my boat. So if I have to get that done every year too, it may not even be worth getting the cert.

The affected cylinders (none of which were mfg by Catalina):

http://www.ctcseminars.com/Files/Technical/3al_advisory.pdf

Since 2007, an eddy current test is only required by law at the time of requal aka hydro for those cylinders made from AL6351. The test must be performed by the hydro station. Those cylinders passing the test will be stamped by VE after the hydro date.

Hazardous Materials: Aluminum Cylinders Manufactured of Aluminum Alloy 6351-T6 Used in SCUBA, SCBA, and Oxygen Services--Revised Requalification and Use Criteria | Federal Register Environmental Documents | USEPA

Previously, Luxfer recommended that the eddy current test by performed every 2.5 years:

Luxfer: Press Releases

The scuba industry adopted the standard of doing the test every year.

Get the cert from PSI, buy cylinders mfg with in the past 20 years and you are good to go.

I have three steel 120's that I bought used. Manufacturing date is 99 and they have 04 hydro stamps. They were manufactured in Japan and have spun stamped on them.

I just took them to Kint corp in Harrsiburg PA for hydro and they told me that they required eddy current inspection which they don't do. So they would not hydro the tanks for me.

I tried to argue that it was only required for the 6351 - T6 alloy tanks. The guy showed me a well worn sheet of paper that indicated that all non USA tanks must have eddy current inspection.

I again tried to argue that they are misinterpreting the DOT regs to no avail.

I'm interested in others opinions of this.

Do Japanese steel tanks require eddy current testing or not?

I have three steel 120's that I bought used. Manufacturing date is 99 and they have 04 hydro stamps. They were manufactured in Japan and have spun stamped on them.

I just took them to Kint corp in Harrsiburg PA for hydro and they told me that they required eddy current inspection which they don't do. So they would not hydro the tanks for me.

I tried to argue that it was only required for the 6351 - T6 alloy tanks. The guy showed me a well worn sheet of paper that indicated that all non USA tanks must have eddy current inspection.

Eddy current testing is done on aluminum tanks only.

Hi crosing, I am a professional NDT technician and I am prety sure that the little eddy current machine most dive shops have are only designed, and then calibrated to test aluminum. The hydro shop that is demanding an eddy current test should provide a procedure, tested out by an NDT Level III, to use to perform the test. Also per the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) the test must be performed by an NDT Level II or a Level I Technician under the direct supervision of a Level II. Run that by them and see if they can produce, otherwise they are demanding testing that is not required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

The only references to eddy that I find in the relevant CFRs are for use with 6351 aluminum cylinders.

Can you find out what specific citation was on the well worn paper?

I read the paper while there and asked for a copy but the guy said no.

I just think they don't know what they are talking about.

Do your tanks have a DOT or ICC stamp on them? If they don't have one of those stamped on them then that could be the problem.

Last edited:
Non USA tanks? Did you ask him if he was okay with worthingtons? they are Canadian made. Find a new hydro shop. That guy was full of $hit. Eddy current tests are only for the 6351's... I really can't wait until the 6351's are all gone... so I don't have to hear about them anymore! The industry ousted perfectly safe tanks because of a handful of accidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom