Steel Faber Tanks Do not have DOT stamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

searchman

Reaction score
I have two Faber Steel Tanks ( Cressi-Sub ) that does not have DOT markings. They were brought to the US from another country. No sure where though. Here are the markings from the tank neck.
Faber 98/0271/ 196
Aria Carica 200/PROVA 300Bar
15.0 Litri 16.0kg 01-98

Can this tank be certified here in the US? Hydro ed?

The valves are a twin valve style.

I have a photo but am not allowed to post a link

Thanks

I have two Faber Steel Tanks ( Cressi-Sub ) that does not have DOT markings. They were brought to the US from another country. No sure where though. Here are the markings from the tank neck.
Faber 98/0271/ 196
15.0 Litri 16.0kg 01-98

Thanks

They're 15 Liter 200 Bar steel tanks, which hold about 105 CuFt, if I'm not mistaken.

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll find anybody in the US to fill a tank that doesn't have a DOT stamp, and shipping it to anyplace where it can be used will cost as much as the tank is worth.

Too bad. It's a nice tank.

Terry

Faber 98/0271/ 196
15.0 Litri 16.0kg 01-98

Thanks

Cannot be made legal for the USA. Can be hydroed, but only if they are used on a foreign ship (and a few other circumstances IIRC). Good luck finding a hydrotester who won't just throw up his hands and condemn them.

Best bet is to sell them to someone with a personal compressor.

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread as my neighbor, a new diver, has just run into almost the same issue. He bought a tank from Craigs List that was brought here from Italy. Has anyone turned up any information he might find helpful?

TIA,

Couv

Take it back to the seller???? If he is privately filling the cylinder he can ask a hydro station to test it. They will not stamp it though.

Some hydro shops in major port cities do foreign cylinder hydros for ships. There is to my knowledge there is no specific DOT regulation that prohibits an LSD from filling a non DOT personally owned cylinder but good luck finding one that will. I have a couple of non DOT cylinders that the local shop hydroed but they will not stamp their ID code on them, just the month and year. I fill them myself.

Cannot be hydo'd unless for immediate export only. Cannot be used in the US unless you can fill it yourself.

Cannot be hydo'd unless for immediate export only. Cannot be used in the US unless you can fill it yourself.

Can you post a specific DOT regulation to back those statements. Pretty much the only thing DOT regulations address is "transportation in commerce" meaning a cylinder must be a DOT specfication container in current hydro to be used in transporting a hazardous material, in this case high pressure air, by a commercial carrier, UPS, Fedx, XYZ freight line. Lets not forget what the T in DOT means.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfile...er Historical Files/61fr__1996/61fr-26750.pdf

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/PHMSA/SPA_App/OfferDocuments/SP14396_2009031322.pdf covers most of it.

This all evolves from discussions I had with the various cylinder manufacturers/engineers I dealt with in regard to foreign cylinders. As I stated you can use them for personal use.

Any hydro facility who tested them would have to be authorized by the proper foreign agency to test and stamp said cylinder. If someone wanted a "courtesy hydro" without stamping, that's another situation

Back
Top Bottom