HP valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just got my X7 -100 steels, but I'm not sure if they sent the correct valves. They're both K valves, but one is a XS Scuba valve with a sticker on the front that reads "2400 service pressure" (see pic below); however, the burst disk on the side has "4000" stamped on it. The second valve is a Genesis, but the burst disk is stamped "3000"(see pic below).

2400psi valve.jpg3000psi valve.jpg

The picture on the left is the XS Scuba valve. The one on the right is the Genesis valve.

Maybe it's just me but these burst disks seem to sometimes be referring to service pressure
of the tank they are intended for and sometimes referring to the burst disk pressure. Since a low pressure
2400 psi tank is hydro tested at 4000 if you see a 2400 or a 4000 it will be from what I have gathered for
a 2400 psi tank. Since there are no 4000 psi service pressures you kinda know this must be a burst pressure rating.
Likewise if you see a 5000 this would be a burst disk or hydro pressure for a 3000 psi tank. And if marked 3000 this
would also be for a 3000 psi service pressure tank since there are no test or hydro pressures of 3000 psi. Don't take
this for absolute truth but it is as much as I have figured out on these various stampings on burst disks.
Also, most late model HP tanks will have a thermo valve which can be used for either yoke or DIN by removing the insert
and have burst disks of the higher HP test pressure rating.

They both are thermo valves (aka K valve - I think) and can be used as DIN or Yoke. My question is...Should I try to get the entire valve exchanged; or, can I just get a bigger burst disk? I think the scuba shop in CT would exchange the valve if I get in touch with them ASAP. A valve that is non-compatible would be false advertising for their Ebay listing.

thanks,

They both are thermo valves (aka K valve - I think) and can be used as DIN or Yoke. My question is...Should I try to get the entire valve exchanged; or, can I just get a bigger burst disk? I think the scuba shop in CT would exchange the valve if I get in touch with them ASAP. A valve that is non-compatible would be false advertising for their Ebay listing.

thanks,

the X7-100 is rated for 3442psi.

The valves (burst discs) you've got are not rated for that.
sure you can fill them to 3442 and they shouldn't burst until they get to 5/3 rd's of rated value.

But why chance it?

If you wan to get full 3442psi capacity out of your tanks, and do it safely. You will need to swap out the valves or the burst discs. If you just swap the burst disc's, then scrape off that 2400psi service pressure sticker so you don't have to argue with someone at a LDS.

seeing how you "just got these"? were these new or used?

if they were new, the LDS you bought this from screwed you and should fix it.
if they were used, and this was NOT DISCLOSED as part of the sale prior to purchase, the person that sold them to you SCREWED you and should to have it fixed.

This is simply someone who was too lazy (or cheap) to do it right. No reason you should have to pay for their laziness/cheapness.

Thanks Mike, but I don't want to claim that the place "screwed" me, because maybe they mistakenly put the wrong valve on when they shipped them (used btw). I called the shop and they wanted pictures. I just emailed them. If they refuse to correct this, then I'll consider myself screwed, and of course drop the dime and mention the shop's name (along with Ebay and PayPal complaints).
:angrymob:
I appreciate the responses and confirmations of my concerns. I'll let everyone know how this ends...

All you have to do is replace the burst disks. The sticker on the valve refers to the burst disk and not the acctual use pressure of the valve. You can get new burst disks from multiple places. Ebay sells them, I sell them, and other shops sell them. I would acctually suggest talking to John at Northeast Scuba Supply (you can google them). John sells them for a dollar or two cheaper than I can sell them. PM me if you have any questions.

That's good to know akdeepdiver. The shop said they'll mail me the correct burst disks on Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom