How to sling a 30cf pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a 30cf pony and got the xs scuba bands to attach it to the main tank but have heard that slinging it is much easier. Only how is this done? Can I buy a kit online and attach it to my BCD? I have a Mares Icon BCD so it is not a tech BCD or anything and all my dives are recreational. Thx

Search is your friend as this topic is well covered ... That said more than likely attaching it to your BCD may be problematic.

Utilizing a pony bottle is not usually synonymous with recreational diving. Slinging a bottle is easier, but attaching the bottle to your main cylinder does keep it out of the way.

How much weight should I account for a 30cf?

Catalina's 30cf cylinder is -2.4lbs negative when full. Luxfer's is -1lbs full. Probably account for another 2lbs for regulator set-up and cylinder hardware. It's always good to weight test a new configuration with 500psi at a 15ft safety stop or eye-level on surface...

None.

What happens if you hand it off to another diver? You don't want to be shooting to the surface.

But from what I have been told is for rec diving to just attach it to the main tank??

I dive with a slung 30 cuft bottle often. At home, it is mainly to practice diving with it. When I dive deep dives that press the rec limits, I like to have it along as an added safety factor in case of screwups (mine or someone else's). You should not include it in your gas planning.

Slung on the left side of the BCT, it is not too noticeable. My sons who are better on air than I am dive 20 cuft bottles.

A wise man on this board, Steve Doppler, suggested to me to search Lamar Hires on youtube for my 30 cf sling. I would suggest you do the same. An awful lot of good info on the how and why. I have used his techniques and they work well for me after a little tweaking.:D

Evaluate WHY you want to carry this bottle in the first place.
Then consider your carry options options, Your personal reasons for feeling that you need to carry a 30 may determine what is best for you.

It seems that you have already decided on your chosen carry method. Have whomever told you that attaching it was the preferred method for recreational diving, demonstrate the finer points. Maybe they can elaborate further.

-Mitch

Back
Top Bottom