Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: K valve vs J valve

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

K valve vs J valve

Help please...

A J valve is the single knob job that is most commonly seen on aluminum tanks right?

A K valve has two knobs right?

What do the two knobs do?

Why the difference?

Tom

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Close -- K valve is the common "one knob" valve you see on most tanks today.

I've never actually seen a J, but have read about them before. See link below for a pic and description.
    http://www.diverlink.com/gear/earlygear.htm

Uncle Ricky

- Trusty Shellback

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

"J" "K" & "H" valves

The "K" valve is the standard on/off valve commonly seen on most tanks.
    The "J" valve has a lever that when raised cuts off airflow at about 300 psi - by lowering the lever you gain access to the last 300 psi. This valve was used before the advent of the SPG as an emergency indicator it was time to end the dive.
    The "H" valve has two independently controlled orifices and will accept two first stage regulators. Many will accept both DIN and Yoke regs (via a yoke insert). HP variety are DIN only.
    The "Y" valve is like the "H" valve but older, and less common today as the "H" valve can be adapted to a manifold for doubling tanks where the "Y" valve can't.
    Rick
    "You can have peace, or you can have Freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." (Heinlein)
    "... they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the deep." (Ps107:24)

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos

But you forgot...

The "Dump Valve" used in the Warhammer Manouver... Unlike the others it HAS to be O2 cleaned for all environments... I almost forgot the Bivalve... which exist on many an ocean floor. And the Valve-salva manouver... Then there's the stuff to lube all of these valves, aka valve-oline. Does anyone still drive a Valvo??? Sorry, just got a bit over in-valved in the process...

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Re: "J" "K" & "H" valves

Good answer Rick, just let me add a little bit.....

Originally posted by Rick Murchison
    The "K" valve is the standard on/off valve commonly seen on most tanks.
    The "J" valve has a lever that when raised cuts off airflow at about 300 psi - by lowering the lever you gain access to the last 300 psi. This valve was used before the advent of the SPG as an emergency indicator it was time to end the dive.
    The "H" valve has two independently controlled orifices and will accept two first stage regulators. Many will accept both DIN and Yoke regs (via a yoke insert). HP variety are DIN only.
    The "Y" valve is like the "H" valve but older, and less common today as the "H" valve can be adapted to a manifold for doubling tanks where the "Y" valve can't.
    Rick
    Most rental "J"'s have been modified to remove the lever action and function just like a "K".

The names come from the item numbers that were used to identify the valve in the early catalogs. (A "L" valve was item L; the "K" valve was item K, etc.)
    Ontario Diver

"It's Cold, It's Murky. Lots of Wrecks, 18 Species of fish (all various shades of brown and green) but the best beer in the world"

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Pete....

And in one way(valve), I always keep the butterfly(valves) close to my heart(valves).

Sorry...couldn't resist the very obvious pun(valve).

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos

But, uh...

I think I o-puned a can of worms... yeah, yeah, I know I am one to puntificate... remember I valve-u our friendship, so I will be quiet now... As Vince Lombardi once said... "When in doubt, Pun!"

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Ok I think I understand, but I'll try to describe what I have and get some one to explain what I got.

I picked up a tank that has a knob on one side that is obviously the on/off. It has another knob 180* from it with the port in the middle. What do I have and what does the other knob do?

The tank needs a hydro and is empty. So I can't fill it to find out.

Tom

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999

J ???

Tom,
    This is a semi-wild, semi-educated guess, but you might have a "J-valve" ,with function as accurately described by Rick.
    Does the knob opposite the "on /off" knob have anything that looks like an attachment point for a hook ended rod?(a small hole or "eyelet"?)If so, that would be a stronger indicator that you have a "J valve". I also remember being told that the "other" knob was there for ease of carrying- but that always sounded a little strange, as we were simultaneously being told to not carry the tank by the valve.

OD, I hadn't heard the "catalog" source for the names of the different type valves before this. I recall being told that the J valve got its name from the shape of the rod used to activate the reserve PSI in the tank, and that the "Y valve" and "H valve" were so named because of their shape. (I must confess, I've never seen an H valve, so I can't judge the accuracy of that part of the claim.)
    In any event, its interesting how these different interpretations occur.
    Take care,
    Miked

Chairman of the Board

is dreamin about diving.

Photos

Yes Tom, You have

A "J" valve. The knob (usually on top) opens the tank valve, the other lever (which only goes so far) is the "safety mechanism". That being said, if the tank hydros out, I would replace that valve with a newer "K" valve. BTW, the story about the catalogue is true for the H, K, and J valves... the Y get's it name from it's shape.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast