Doubles recommendation for tall diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kamper

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to buy at set of double tanks this year. I am 6'6" and wondering if X7-120's trim out better for taller divers than the X8-119's or 130's. Double 120's don't appear to be common so tough for me to try in advance. The gas volume difference between the tanks I can accomodate, I am more interested in how they dive on someone tall. Thanks

I'd go for the X7-120s.

8s feel ridiculously wide to me. I don't even like them in a singles config. But then again, I'm 5'8, 155 lb.

I'm 6'4" and find PST 104s really work well for me.

Trim is more a function of how high up/down on your back you're going to wear doubles [or are you going sidemount ?? ]...I'm 6' 4" and use hp 100's most of the time when diving OC......Being 'leg heavy' I wear them higher than most [w/a doughnut wing ] to get the trim I want.......And check out a tank chart to see what you 'actually' get in cu.ft among the different manufactures........All those factors will effect trim......

I'm 6'6" and have double 130s, and 120s, both Worthington X-somethings. They both trimmed fine on me, but I prefer the 120s. Being longer, they didn't affect me rolling side to side as much. The bigger advantage though, is I think they are a bit lighter to carry on land, and they are easier to sit into on a bench for me.

Get a really good idea of the gas required(rock bottom) for the dives you plan to do, this is a far better guide for tank size. That said, I'm 6'3" and my favourite go to tanks are HP 100 and HP 120s. As far as trim goes, placement of the BP and design of the wing as well as trim weights play a big role.

I'm 6'3" and used HP120's for years but prefer HP 100's. They are more manageable, trim nice and my profiles now just don't require 220 cuft of back gas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 6'-7", and found hp100's to not be trim friendly. I needed the weight/length. An instructor let me borrow a set of x7-120's, and in the water they are just sweet for me. I dive them as a single tank too as I do like the smaller diameter. Hp100's would require me to use tail weights, so why bother....

Having more gas (than hp100) isn't a bad thing..'

---------- Post added April 15th, 2014 at 08:27 PM ----------

P.S. With all this height around here, we need to form the SB hoops team..

Nah...... Bad idea......

at 6'5", I'm running PST LP104s and they trim out great. I don't mind the width, but I've got a large frame, even for my (our) height, carrying 280+ lbs and still easily meeting the Army standard. I second that adjusting the tank position has more to do with trimming out properly than does the length, but I also found that I had a much harder time staying in trim with shorter, lighter tanks (al80s). The moment of inertia of the larger tanks is large enough that they want to stay in position.

I'll also plug a donut wing to go with your tanks. Being tall, and leg heavy, I liked the design for keeping me in trim.

Back
Top Bottom