Graphic dipping a tank, is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

digdug87

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know if enough about the graphic dipping process to know if it can safely be done to a SCUBA tank? By safely done, I mean, without effecting the integrity of the tank.

Yes it can be done...don't think it will hold up well though, nor will it look great. Graphic dipping is great for one sided items like car wheels, but may distort significantly when going around a cylinder.

Not to mention....It'll fail next viz..if your V.I.P. inspectors any good....

Not to mention....It'll fail next viz..if your V.I.P. inspectors any good....

Why, it is no different than the coat of paint that tanks come with.

Sorry Capt..while normally I usually agree with your postings..I'm gonna respectfully take issue with this one...:wink:...PSI..and our shop..standards ....say "no painting"...and I'd agree. I have NO idea whats goin on underneath that pretty motif of a dip job..and I'm the one that has to fill that bomb?..nope..not happening.

It is true that any shop can refuse to fill your tank for any reason. They own the compressor, and the consequences for a rupture are potentially dire. Many shops would not be qualified to objectively determine the safety of filling a tank that had been dipped and decorated, so they'll likely just say no. In this case you really can't blame them.

If you had some documentation from the tank manufacturer and/or other authority stating that what you want to do will not structurally alter the tank, you might have a chance of getting it filled.

I've gotta go with Captain on this one. I have no problem inspecting or filling a tank that comes painted from the factory or one that's been repainted. So what difference would a graphic dip make? Any bubbling or chipping would have to be examined, and I doubt the graphic would look nice for long. But I see no reason to fail the tank or refuse to fill it.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry you have a sticker on your tank... its flawed.... better not fill it.

I think LDS need to relax a little. Tanks in industry get beat up, dropped rolled around, all the time. I bet SCUBA tanks as a whole are treated like a kings compared to other HP tanks. Yes they can be dangerous but some paint or pretty markings on the outside is not going to cover up or impact the safety of a tank.

The dip would be over the factory paint after a little surface preparation. Anything going on under the dip would also be going on under the factory paint if it could compromise the tank. So what difference does it make?. I touch-up or repaint my tanks all the time. If there is something wrong with the base coat, such as corrosion, all the layers will skin off the bubble. The first thing I do when I buy a used painted tank is to pull the valve and look it over, then skin the outside with a rough grit sandpaper looking for any paint to flake or deep scratches in the paint to leech some rust. Once that is done, it's primer and touch-up. Never had any problems with the place where they are hydro-ed. Decidedly, having my compressor and doing my inspections and maintenance comes in handy, but sometimes I have to travel with a few of them and have them visual ed at the site before filling. Never had a problem with that ether.

I say if you are going to dip it, try a piece of large PVC pipe first, coated with the primer you are going to use, just to see how the dip would look on the cylinder. I would sure hate to remove the dip time and time again from my tank until I got right. You can pitch the PVC. Be aware that in most cases the factory paint is polyurethane and will hold a compatible primer well. Once you get a primer bond, you can use an enamel or lacquer top coat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom