Buying new vs used

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WestCoastDivr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been looking into purchasing a hp 100cf steel tank. Used I have been seeing them around the 200 dollar mark, possibly a little more but I found a website where I can purchase a new hp 100cf steel tank and get it shipped to my house for about $260. Is the extra $60 worth not having to risk having issues with a used tank and getting it brand new in your opinions?

That sounds like a great price for new. You have the link for that?

With that said, you can keep looking. I just bought two HP 100s for $220 for the pair. They are just out of hydro so adding 34 per tank makes it 144 a tank.

It's worth $60 difference if you're talking about the exact same make and model tank, which I kind of doubt. $200 sounds a little high for a used one and $260 sounds low for a new one, again depending on the specific tank. The worthington X series tend to be more expensive than the faber blue steel series.

I believe that the worthington tanks are no longer being manufactured for the U.S. market, so if that's what you want, I'd get one quickly.

Make sure the valve is included in that new price. Used ones should be in the $125-$150 range. I've seen folks listing them for $200, but I think they're nuts.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No link to the website?

One thing to get straight from the retailer is how the tank will be shipped. I believe (but could be wrong) that tanks are supposed to be shipped with the valve removed. So when the tank arrives it needs a VIP and may have some flash rust that needs to be removed. So you need to add that to the cost of the tank. I have seen Faber 100s advertised lower than $260 for pickup during special sales.

Who makes the Sherwood steel cylinders? That looks like a hot deal and it appears to have free shipping. Any info on them?

The scuba tanks don't apply for free shipping but it's only $40 more, I decided to order one since it's only 270 with a genesis valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom