New Tank Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently purchased a tank from an on-line store. The tank was manufactured in 2012 so I figured it wouldn't need a hydro for three years. When I took it to a LDS for Vis and a fill, I was told that he couldn't do the Vis or fill without a hydro first. He claimed that since it came from an on-line shop, there was no way of knowing how long it had been sitting around, and under what conditions. He also said that all other shops would also require the hydro.

Is the requirement for a hydro under these circumstances routine, or was the LDS guy being unscrupulous?

I call it BS. There is manufacture month and year stamp on the tank. As long as it is within 5 year, it should be OK to proceed for viz.

How do the shop determine if a tank is from on-line shop if you don't tell them? What if you bought the tank from local craiglist.

Hydro's are good for five years. Period! Has nothing to do with how a tank was stored since it is unused. The vis will catch any rust etc. Find a reasonable shop that will vis and fill it.

If there is a valve on it the shop has no reason to suspect that contamination of moisture has got in the tank from shelf life. I would expect that a recent birth date and a vis sticker is all you should need. It i not unusual for a shop to not accept a <1 yr old hydro as a substitute for a vis and require one before filling. Your situation i have never heard of. I would walk the tank with valve on to another shop and test the process to see if you are refused..

He can have that policy if he wants. His reasons for it are full of crap. He's mad because you did not buy it from him. Tell him at least to be honest about it. Better yet don't. Never go to his shop again and if you should happen to run into him at a local site and he asks. Tell him politely. You don't like the way he tried to take advantage of you and walk away.

Another retailer from the dark ages.

He knows, or at least should, that he is bull****ting you.

He should know that a bull****ted customer never returns and the few bucks extra he might have made had he successfully bull****ted you is nothing compared to the loss of your business and the loss of business from people you share your experience with.

If he bull****s people on this, what else does he do it on? A retailer you don't trust is a retailer you should avoid.

Did he have a clown car parked outside?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom